Enrich the lives of people experiencing homelessness!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
8 people are interested
Share what you love
Do you have a burning desire to play a game of Monopoly, but your family and friends will not even acknowledge you when you bring it up? Is there a specific craft or art form that you’d love to share with a group of people? Perhaps you simply enjoy engaging with people and lifting them up. Whatever you have to offer, we want to hear from you!
The Bailey’s Crossroads Community Shelter (BCCS) is a low barrier, emergency shelter for people experiencing homelessness in the Falls Church/Seven Corners/Bailey’s Crossroads area of Fairfax County. We are casting a wide net and hoping to find unique, caring, and patient individuals to lead group activities at BCCS. Working with the Volunteer Coordinator, programming will be developed, tested, and improved upon with feedback. You will have an opportunity to share your talent, hobby, passion, and energy with people in need of community and enrich lives.
Just a few ways you could become involved:
- Put on a night of bingo, games, or movies
- Play music in our shelter’s common area
- Lead an art or craft making activity
- Lend your musical talents to liven up the shelter for an evening
- Serve a meal with your community or faith-based organization
Prior experience working in a shelter environment or with those experiencing homelessness not required, but volunteers should be comfortable doing so. Volunteers must possess patience and confidence in their ability to teach and lead activities for a group. All volunteers must be 18 years or older, attend a volunteer orientation, and be open to the idea of an ongoing commitment.
Volunteers are an important part of the New Hope Housing family. As an organization initially founded and run by volunteers, we consider them to be the lifeblood and heritage. They come from many different backgrounds and cultures and each person brings energy that allows us to expand the programming and services we offer.
We'll work with your schedule.
3525 Moncure AveFalls Church, VA 22041
- Visual Arts
- Theater Arts
- Animal Therapy
- Music Therapy
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours a month, evenings from 6 to 8 p.m.
- While teaching experience is not required, volunteers should be knowledgeable in their subject and possess the patience to work with all levels of aptitude. Volunteers should be comfortable working in a shelter environment.