4 people are interested
Make someone's last moments their best moments. Become a Hospice Volunteer!
ORGANIZATION: Hospice of the Midwest
Please visit the new page to apply.
4 people are interested
Hospice of the Midwest is currently in search of hospice volunteers able to provide support to patients and their loved ones. Our office is conveniently located off of Hwy 44 in Guthrie Center, IA but we serve a wide range of Iowan counties. There are many different opportunities for volunteering:
1) Direct care: spending time with patients to provide socialization and companionship, playing games, giving family members a break, vigil support, playing music, looking through magazines and family photo albums, lending a listening ear, providing emotional support, and so much more
2) Pet therapy: pet must be licensed and up to date on vaccines
3) Office setting: clerical tasks, putting together welcome kits, organizing supplies, bereavement support letters
4) Crafts: making a special blanket for the veterans that come on service, personalized and hand-made cards for special holidays (Christmas, Valentine's Day, etc)
Since hospice volunteers spend time in patients' and families' homes or in a facility, our hospice program has an application and interview process to ensure each volunteer is well suited for this type of work. Hospice programs also have an organized training program for patient care. Since we service several counties, training and volunteer opportunities can be accommodated to a location of your choosing. Areas covered by these training programs include understanding of hospice care, understanding maintaining confidentiality, listening skills, identifying signs and symptoms of approaching death, coping with loss, grief, and bereavement support.
All Hospice of the Midwest volunteers are required to complete the Hospice Volunteer Training program, pass a background check, and have a negative TB (Tuberculosis) test prior to having any patient contact. All are provided at no cost to the volunteer
If interested follow this link to apply Volunteers | Hospice of the Midwest
About Hospice of the Midwest
9249 Northpark Dr., Johnston, IA 50131, US
The Mission for Hospice of the Midwest is to treat all those that we come in contact with (patients, caregivers, fellow employees, referral sources, vendors and payors) the way we would want to be treated.
Hospice of the Midwest is dedicated to providing individuals what they need to ensure the best quality of life during a difficult time. We are committed to recognizing that individuals and families are the true experts in their own care. It is a privilege to bring in our team of health professionals to offer personalized services for each patient and their loved ones in preparation for this chapter in their life; to not merely experience sorrow but rather a deeper understanding of life.
Hospice of the Midwest focuses on enhancing the patient's quality of life, preserving the patient's dignity, and dealing with the patient's end-of-life issues. Our team of professionals provide education for the patient, family, and community to encourage the use of hospice services wherever you are.
103 N 4th StreetGuthrie Center, IA 50115
February 13, 2024
- Office Reception
- Bereavement Support
- Patient Care
- Hospice Care
- Relationship Building
- Music Therapy
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Time commitment varies with our patients' needs. We are flexible with your availability and work with you!