English as a Second Language 1-on-1 Tutor
19 people are interested
Do you have personal or professional interest in working with individuals who are learning to speak English? Are you kind and patient with those around you that ask questions? Do you want the flexibility to volunteer when it is convenient for you? If so, then Arlington Heights Memorial Library has the opportunity for you!
We are currently looking for English as a Second Language (ESL) Tutors to meet one-on-one with an assigned student to help them build confidence with their English skills.
What qualities do we look for in an ESL Tutor?
An individual who:
- Has an understanding of the English language, slang, and idioms.
- Can communicate clearly.
- Is patient and flexible.
- Is open to people with cultural diversities.
- Prior experience with friends, family, students or coworkers from other countries.
- Prior experience teaching or mentoring.
- Foreign language experience.
What is the time commitment?
- Tutors usually meet with 1 or 2 students per week. Each tutoring session is typically 1 or 2 hours long and is scheduled based on mutual tutor/volunteer availability.
- Due to the public service nature of the position, consistent attendance is required.
About Arlington Heights Memorial Library
500 N Dunton Avenue, Arlington Heights, IL 60004, US
We believe in: Unparalleled Customer Service: our best-in-class staff strives for continuous improvement by identifying and providing the services our residents and businesses need most. Free and Equal Access: all individuals have the right to choose for themselves what to read, hear, or view. Fiscal Responsibility: all decisions are weighed against the value added to the lives of our customers. A Focus on Arlington Heights: we are a part of the fabric of our community; all services are tailored to the unique needs of our residents and businesses.
The Arlington Heights Memorial Library strives to add value in our customers’ lives by:
- partnering with them to develop skills they need to succeed in all stages of their lives;
- helping local businesses and community agencies thrive;
- creating occasions for cultural experiences and discovery; and
- offering opportunities in Arlington Heights for gathering, learning, contemplating, creating, and finding inspiration.
We'll work with your schedule.
500 N Dunton AvenueArlington Heights, IL 60004
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours per week