English as a Second Language 1-on-1 Tutor
5 people are interested
Do you have personal or professional interest in working with individuals who are learning to speak English? Are you kind and patient with those around you that ask questions? Do you want the flexibility to volunteer when it is convenient for you? If so, then Arlington Heights Memorial Library has the opportunity for you!
We are currently looking for English as a Second Language (ESL) Tutors to meet one-on-one with an assigned student to help them build confidence with their English skills.
What qualities do we look for in an ESL Tutor?
An individual who:
- Has an understanding of the English language, slang, and idioms.
- Can communicate clearly.
- Is patient and flexible.
- Is open to people with cultural diversities.
- Prior experience with friends, family, students or coworkers from other countries.
- Prior experience teaching or mentoring.
- Foreign language experience.
What is the time commitment?
- Tutors usually meet with 1 or 2 students per week. Each tutoring session is typically 1 or 2 hours long and is scheduled based on mutual tutor/volunteer availability.
- Due to the public service nature of the position, consistent attendance is required.
We'll work with your schedule.
500 N Dunton AvenueArlington Heights, IL 60004
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours per week