Volunteer at a Summer Literacy Program for grades 3-5!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
5 people are interested
Masa is a non-profit organization that partners with Mexican and Latino children, youth and family to create strong learners and leaders who fully contribute to the broader community.
About the Literacy Intensive Program:
A solid foundation in reading skills sets young people up for academic success for the rest of their lives! Masa invites you to join our literacy intensive summer program, which supports children reading below grade level in building their reading skills.
We are seeking dedicated volunteers to support this program. Under the guidance of an expert literacy instructor, you will implement targeted reading plans in small groups of students in either grades 3-5. Your support of this program helps young people improve their reading skills so they can start the next academic year as confident learners and readers!
Masa’s Tlanezcalli Community Center, easily accessible by the 2 and 5 trains at the 149th Street-3rd Avenue train station (just 2 stops into the Bronx)
Mondays, Tuesdays Wednesdays, or Thursdays, from July 8th through August 15th
For students in grades 3-5 - 12-1:30 PM
Work with small groups of students to provide intensive literacy instruction using a lesson plan created by our expert literacy instructor (who is on-site to provide support). Model enthusiasm for reading!
Requirements are as follows:
- Able to volunteer one consistent day per week for the entire 6-week program
- Able to attend a training on Monday, July 1st, or, Tuesday, July 2nd, from 5-8 PM
- Willing to review lesson plans in advance and ask questions as needed
- Comfortable implementing/leading lessons independently or in partnership with a partner volunteer or youth staff member
- Interested in working with children in grades 3-5; able to model enthusiasm
- Experience working with children in an educational setting is a plus, but not required
- Maintain and model high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Provide feedback on student progress and/or concerns to Masa staff
- Be flexible, creative, organized and able to respond to change as needed
- Help manage behavior and lead students through daily instruction
An interview and complete volunteer application is required for this role.
Masa Tlanezcalli Center2770 Third AvenueBronx, NY 10455
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Special Needs
- People 55+
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Able to volunteer once a week from 12 - 1:30 pm
- Application, Interview