Board of Director President
3 people are interested
Mission- Habitat for Humanity of South Hampton Roads’ mission is to build affordable homes that strengthen families and communities in South Hampton Roads. We serve all seven geographical entities that comprise South Hampton Roads: Chesapeake, Isle of Wight, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Smithfield, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach.
Position- As a partner to the Executive Director and other Board members, the Board President will provide leadership to Habitat for Humanity of South Hampton Roads (HFHSHR). The Board President will support and sustain the work of HFHSHR and provide governance leadership and strategic fundraising support. Service on HFHSHR’s board of directors is without remuneration.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Developing and managing relationships and communicating with donors, partners, and other stakeholders
- As a board member, approving HFHSHR’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by HFHSHR for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Coordinating an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director
- Assisting the Executive Director and nominating committee in recruiting board members
- Periodically consulting with board members on their roles and helping them assess their performance
- Planning, presiding over, and facilitating board and committee meetings; partnering with the Executive Director to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring HFHSHR’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities HFHSHR serves
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, generating substantial annual revenue and fostering HFHSHR’s overall financial health
- Personally, treating HFHSHR as a top philanthropic priority reflected in an annual financial gift
- Ensuring that 100 percent of HFHSHR’s board members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity
- Identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major individual donors, corporate, and/or foundation gifts
Qualification- This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the success of HFHSHR’s beneficiaries and who has a track record of board leadership. The selected Board President will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing board members. Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- Demonstrated success as a nonprofit board member or board chair
- Track record of building credibility in the funding community that has resulted in major gifts to a nonprofit
- A commitment to and understanding of HFHSHR’s beneficiaries and mission preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with natural affinity for public speaking
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of HFHSHR’s beneficiaries
Term- HFHSHR’s Board members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. The Board President serves a single two-year term. Board meetings will be held bi-monthly, and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
About Habitat for Humanity South Hampton Roads
900 Tidewater Drive, Norfolk, VA 23504, US
Habitat for Humanity SHR's mission is to build affordable homes to strengthen families and communities in South Hampton Roads. We are dedicated to building and preserving our communities and envision a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
Habitat for Humanity South Hampton Roads utilizes the power of volunteers to build affordable homes in our community and provide support in our ReStores. We serve all seven geographical entities that comprise South Hampton Roads: Chesapeake, Isle of Wight, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Smithfield, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach. Together with the help of volunteers, we have built over 200 homes throughout the area.
900 Tidewater DriveNorfolk, VA 23504
- Public Relations
- Sales Marketing
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Two year commitment