Notre Dame AmeriCorps Member - Full-time Volunteer with stipend
"I Have A Dream" Foundation of Boulder County
Host Site: "I Have A Dream" (r) Foundation of Boulder County ("I Have A Dream")
The "I Have A Dream"/AmeriCorps partnership is the result of a collaboration between "I Have A Dream," Notre Dame Mission Volunteers (NDMV), and the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS). "I Have A Dream" is an economic empowerment program, whose aim is to prevent high-school dropout and engage low-income students in post-secondary success through a long-term, whole-child approach to access education. "I Have A Dream" is seeking applicants for 28 full-time AmeriCorps positions for a September through July service term.
AmeriCorps Members will help further our ability to deliver services to the youth in our program ("Dreamer Scholars") and their families. The "I Have A Dream" Foundation has a number of active classes across Boulder and Weld counties, serving hundreds of Dreamer Scholars in the 1st through 12th grades and Dreamer Scholars pursuing post-secondary education. More info on our specific programs is available at www.ihadboulder.org
Service Position Title: AmeriCorps Program Site Member
Immediate Supervisor: Site Program Director
Service Position Summary:
- Assist the site’s Program Director in planning, organizing, and delivering a year-round program of appropriate activities to support students' academic, socio-emotional needs, and parent partnerships
- Mentor students on a regular basis. Focus on developing relationships with students, managing an assigned caseload (approximately 15-25 Dreamers). Act as a positive role model and provide personal guidance.
- Plan and lead group sessions and classes, as part of in school and/or after-school programs, focusing on students’ needs in academics, socio-emotional support and other enrichment activities.
- Push into core classes during the school day, assisting teachers and students with school day needs.
- Tutor students during academic programming, one-on-one or in small groups..
- Support volunteer tutors, mentors, and other program volunteers.
- Maintain contact with school staff and community partners.
- Plan meaningful and fun incentive field trips.
- Help the site’s Program Director promote parental involvement in "I Have A Dream" and school activities. Organize parent activities, workshops, and discussion groups as needed.
- Develop college and career awareness and job training activities for students; helping to create meaningful job and internship opportunities.
- Maintain records related to Program activities such as students' grades, academic records, school attendance, "I Have A Dream" participation, results of one-on-one intervention, and family involvement. Perform clerical functions in the site’s administrative office in support of the program.
Commitment and Benefits: Full-time members - responsible for 11 months of service and a minimum
of 1,700 hours of service during the year will receive the following:
- A living allowance of $14,279 pre-tax ($583 bi-weekly, pre-tax) over the course of the service term;
- A National Service Trust Education Award of $6,195 (pre-tax), after the successful completion of the term of service, can be used for post-secondary education, vocational school, graduate school, or to pay back student loans;
- Level of service averages 40 hours per week .
- Health insurance as part of the AmeriCorps health plan; and
- Child care , if eligible.
AmeriCorps member will primarily work/collaborate with:
- Other AmeriCorps members and "I Have A Dream" staff
- Elementary through high school students
- Students’ families & caretakers
- Boulder Valley School District
- St. Vrain Valley School District
- Boulder business community and organizations
- Other local nonprofits and community partners
Training opportunities provided:
- Initial 2-week AmeriCorps Training / Orientation to "I Have A Dream" and NDMVA
- Leadership & Communication
- Diversity & Cultural Competency
- Motivational Interviewing
- Suicide prevention, Abuse Reporting
- Health, Wellness, Nutrition
- Literacy, Math, Tutoring, and Academic Programming Techniques
- Serving low-income, and at-risk youth
- Lesson planning & Classroom Management
- Bi-Monthly on-site AmeriCorps meetings/workshops
- Others as scheduled
Support: Each member will receive support from several "I Have A Dream" staff members and 2nd year AmeriCorps members serving in the organization. This includes:
- Monthly 1:1 check-ins with Site Program Directors (direct supervisor)
- Bi-annual 1:1 check-ins with AmeriCorps Site Director
- Bi-monthly AmeriCorp Professional Training days
- 1:1 mentor match with 2nd -year AmeriCorps Service Member
- Inclusion in all-staff meetings, including encouraged access to organizational leaders and executives
Requirements: To be eligible to serve as an AmeriCorps Member, one must be at least 17 years of age; be a U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien; and have a high school diploma or GED. NDMVA prefers that members be at least 21 years of age.
Selection Criteria: We are seeking self-motivated, compassionate applicants who enjoy working with young people and diverse individuals, including Dreamers, their families, "I Have A Dream" staff and sponsors, teachers and school administrators, and members of the community. A bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience in education or human services, and bilingual in Spanish is preferred . A clear driving record and a vehicle are required. "I Have A Dream" is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We will conduct the review and interview process until all positions are filled. AmeriCorps applications, resumes and references will be considered as they are received. If you are interested in applying, please submit an online application - instructions are available at www.ndmva.org . You may also contact:
Elyana Funk Notre Dame AmeriCorps Site Director
"I Have A Dream"(r) Foundation of Boulder County
5390 Manhattan Circle, Suite 200
Boulder, CO 80303
www.ihaveadreamboulder.org , www.ndmva.org , www.americorps.gov
* The actual start date is dependent on annual approval of federal funding, and on the grant funding cycle, which is determined by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
About "I Have A Dream" Foundation of Boulder County
5390 Manhattan Circle, Boulder, CO 80303, US
Mission: To empower children from low-income communities to succeed in school, college, and career by providing academic, social, and emotional support from elementary school through college, along with a post-secondary tuition assistance scholarship. Vision: Our dream is a world where all children have equal access to the educational and career opportunities that will ignite their innate potential.
Since 1990, IHDF Boulder County has served more than 1,000 local youth, and currently has 12 active Dreamer Scholar Classes. The model, with its one-on-one attention and daily programming, has proven to narrow the opportunity gap. Dreamer Scholars graduate from high school, enroll in post-secondary programming, and complete their post-secondary education at much higher rates than their low-income peers.