- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Purpose of Position
To work with the chapter fundraising committee to develop and implement an annual chapter fundraising program, based on the annual conservation and other goals and on records from previous years. Fouse on fundraising for the Central Ohio Group.Responsibilities
- Creates a monthly planning calendar for Fundraising events and activities working with the Chapter/Group Chair and ExCom. Attend a Sierra Club Fundraising Training.
- Recruits 3-5 people to work on the Fundraising Team ("Team"). Familiarizes each team member on their activities and delegate authority to each to perform their functions. Coordinates with Publicity and the Volunteer Coordinator on Member Engagement Team when needed. Coordinates with the Chapter level Fundraising Chair on major donors, foundations and corporations.
- Administration (or delegate to Administration on Team): Be the contact for member inquiries and responses regarding fundraising activities and events; orders all the necessary printed materials for fundraising; orders lists and labels from the Labels desk at National for mailings or creates them themselves, events and activities for fundraising; sends invitations and letters when needed; schedules and places fundraising donation ads, event ads, planned giving ads, merchandise sales ads (from AdKit) into the regular Chapter/Group newsletter; schedules Fundraising Team meetings for Fundraising Chair. Can utilize Salesforce to administer, track, and report on your team/Chapter goals.
- Merchandise Sales (or delegate to Merchandise Sales Manager on Team): Sets up a sales network to sell a variety of Sierra Club products, directly to members and non-members, such as calendars, boxed holiday and notecards, coffee, and other merchandise located here. Works with Administration on the Team to place sales ads in the newsletter; works with Member Engagement Team Recruiter to coordinate on tabling events, monthly meetings, and other selling opportunities. Makes presentations to local businesses use these Sierra Club items as holiday gifts or to use the Sierra Club holiday cards as their company’s holiday cards.
- March Appeal (Chapters only) Reviews previous year’s appeals’ successes; accesses the March Window Handbook if needed; creates new appeal with Chapter Chair/Staff and ExCom. Coordinates all aspects of the mailing(s) and the tracking of the budget’s revenues and expenses. Analyzes results. Coordinates with Administrative to place March Window appeal ads in the newsletter.
- Fundraising Events Coordinator (or delegate to Events Coordinator on Team): Finds someone to create one or two fundraising events, that are/if manageable for your Chapter/Group size and budget, that can be held annually. Create a budget, volunteer needs, timelines; negotiate event space, catering, auction items or performers, etc. Manages all aspects of these events including financial reporting. Tracks the progress of these Fundraising activities. Coordinates efforts with Member Engagement Team Events Coordinator.
- Grants: (or delegate to Foundation and Corporate Gift Officer on Fundraising Team) In coordination with the Chapter Fundraising staff, writes (or oversees the development of) grant proposals to local foundations/corporations for specific projects. Works with staff to identify potential foundation funders, edit grant proposals, prepare project budgets, ensure project compliance with 501 (c)(3)regulations, and obtain The Sierra Club Foundation's approval for the projects. Works with Chapter or Group Treasurer to coordinate all grant requests/reimbursements accessing the Chapter's or Group’s c(3)funds at The Sierra Club Foundation.
- Personal major donor/planned giving solicitation: (Or work with staff or Conservation chair or delegate to Gift Officer on Fundraising Team) Researches local potential major donors - members and non-members to create a list. Works with the Chapter/Group Chair, ExCom, staff, and conservation chairs to determine the highest priority issues/projects and write a case statement; works with Event Coordinator to holds an annual donor cultivation event as well as a donor "thank you" party; creates a compelling letter/ask for potential donors; follows up with a phone call to set up a face-to-face meeting; makes presentations; nurtures and maintains relationships.
- Develops and maintains historical data and procedures for fundraising programs for future planning and future Fundraising chairs.
- Before leaving office, train your replacement and pass along all plans, results, and materials to your replacement.
- Enjoys meeting new people and going to social events.
- Ability to interact effectively and pleasantly with the public, volunteers, staff, and other outside organizations and to interact, motivate, and train volunteers.
- 2-3 years experience as a member in Sierra Club or other non-profit volunteer activities, a plus. Not required
- Experience in managing people and event/project/program development.
- Comfortable with email and Word processing. Basic knowledge of spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills.
- Self Starter
- Has made a current donation to the Sierra Club flexible on what is considered a donation
We'll work with your schedule.
131 N. High Street, Suite 605Columbus, OH 43215
- Environmental Policy
- Donor Management
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- People 55+
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 15 hours a month minimum