Jara www.joinjara.com is an award-winning growing international education technology initiative that is working towards providing emergency and remote education opportunities through the Jara Unit to displaced children whose education is disrupted due to conflict and/or natural disasters including COVID-19.
Who We Are: We are creating the Jara Unit, the first off-the-grid powered low-cost IoT-enabled education device that can enable a child to learn anywhere, anytime in low-internet low-power communities. The device runs on solar and crank power with geographically customized content that is updated through IoT technology. The Jara Unit is a long-term viable alternative learning solution, so every child on this planet can get access to the quality education they deserve. We are currently signing agreements with Governments/Education Ministries globally and customers. We have received continuous support from Cisco and recognition from the United Nations, Samsung, ASME, and more.
The Role: We are looking for a volunteer to join the team as our non-profit accountant. Your role is to manage Jara’s non-profit finances and bookkeeping. We are a small, close-knit, energetic team and there is room for growth within the role and organization. This is a remote role and please note that this is a volunteer, unpaid position.
- Prepare and manage Jara budgets, profit and loss statements, close reports, and all other financial documents as needed to report to Jara’s internal and external stakeholders, and all relevant regulatory authorities
- Maintain Jara accounts record archives
- Coordinate with the internal and external auditors during audits and prepare financial audit preparation.
- Support Financial and Fundraising departments as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or similar and a minimum of three years related experience
- Knowledge of all aspects of general ledger entry and maintenance, financial analysis, financial statement reporting and financial report development
- Ability to work in, develop and maintain computerized financial systems
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Good analytical and computational skills
- Ability to enter data with speed and accuracy
- Ability to work independently and to plan and organize work effectively
- Advanced skills in Excel, including pivot tables
- Passionate about education, empowerment and development work
- Advanced Google Suite and Microsoft Office skills, familiarity with Slack, Asana or other team organizational software
- Collaborative mindset
- Strong organizational, project management and creative problem-solving skills with impeccable multi-tasking abilities
- Friendly and professional demeanor
- Entrepreneurial, self starter and comfortable with working in a distributed team
- Flexible: you thrive off of the energy of a fast-paced startup environment
Jara does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94110, US
Jara provides emergency education to impoverished and disaster-affected communities around the world through the Jara Unit.
We are currently building the Jara Unit, a personal handheld device that can be used anywhere, anytime, without requiring access to infrastructure. Jara empowers people to rebuild their communities and continue their education, despite their circumstance.
Jara aims to empower all individuals to attain quality education without losing cultural roots. "Jara," in fact, means "root" in the Nepali language; our primary focus is Nepal. The 2015 earthquake in Nepal displaced many citizens and schools were torn down.