Volunteer Docent at Monrovia Historical Museum
5 people are interested
Do you want to be more involved in your community? Have an itch to teach history to interested groups? Our docents:
- Give tours of our exhibits and explain Monrovia's history.
- Answer questions of visitors and refers them to Museum researchers as needed.
- Present the Monrovia Historical Museum's historic items and vintage photos that illustrate Monrovia’s founding (1887) and its place in the wider San Gabriel Valley (from 1887 to present day) and Monrovia’s diverse communities which have been present since 1887.
- Gives tours of the Museum’s exhibits to children and adults in groups from 1 or 2 people to school-class size. Tours last from 30 to 60 minutes, depending on visitor interest.
- Describes exhibits, tells stories illustrated by exhibits, brings Monrovia’s history to life.
- Answers questions and able to refer questions to Museum researchers.
- Stays current on additions to Museum’s docent narrative
- Is on time to shift.
- Available to work when Museum is open THURSDAYS AND SUNDAYS 1 to 4 p.m.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Monrovia Historical Museum
742 East Lemon Avenue, 742, Monrovia, CA 91016, US
--To consistently use our extensive collection to tell the story of Monrovia through cultural events, outreach and changing displays --To provide a quality museum experience, historical programs for the community and a working community resource center for research and display of historic artifacts. --To be a place for people of all ages to experience history as both a spectator and a participant.
Founded in 1987, as a result of enthusiasm for Monrovia’s Centennial, the Museum is housed in a 1925 Spanish style, Historic Landmarked building that served as the city Plunge for 50 years. At 8,000 square feet of space, the Museum is able to offer exhibits that explain the history of Monrovia’s founding years, the sights of significant local landmarks, and the stories of how Monrovians lived and served their country in times of need. The Museum’s collection contains more than 10,000 artifacts, many of which are on display. The Museum is volunteer-run and supported by community donations.
742 East Lemon AvenueMonroviaMonrovia, CA 91016
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Time Commitment:--One to two shifts per month on Thursdays or Sundays 1 to 4 p.m., the hours the Museum is open.
- Qualifications: • Good people skills with children and adults; sensitive to diverse populations • Has a curiosity about Monrovia history; willingness to learn docent narrative. • Comfortable giving tours to small groups • Can be professional face