Mentors for Youth Aging Out of Foster Care
8 people are interested
WAY Alliance mentors are matched with a North Texas youth (age 14-24) with foster care experience. They meet regularly and focus on developing a supportive relationship.A mentor:
- is genuinely interested in the concerns of youth who have experienced foster care
- has a sincere desire to be personally involved with a youth and to help them achieve personal goals
- is sensitive to people of different educational, economic, cultural, or racial backgrounds
- has the ability to communicate with youth openly and non-judgmentally
- possesses strong listening skills
- has the ability to establish a relationship based on equal responsibility and respect
- can empathize with another person’s struggles
- has the ability to see solutions and opportunities as well as barriers
- possesses strong problem-solving skills
About WAY ALLIANCE
PO BOX 95, AUBREY, TX 76227, US
WAY Alliance helps North Texas youth (ages 14-24) with foster care experience develop the relationship, resources, and skills they need to thrive in adulthood.
WAY Alliance was founded in 2018 and will launch programming in the spring of 2019. We are a mentoring-based organization that works with youth aging out of foster are in North Texas. Youth ages 14-24 are matched with a trained, supportive adult mentor who meets with them in the community on a regular basis. WAY Alliance Resource Coordinators assist youth in connecting with local resources for housing, education, and jobs. Volunteers also teach life skills and lead recreational activities for the youth we serve.
We'll work with your schedule.
PO Box 95Aubrey, TX 76227
- Youth Services
- Child Welfare
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- The mentor and youth meet on a regularly for a minimum of eight hours a month (2-4 times a month). The mentor must be willing to commit to the mentoring relationship for at least 12 months.
- Potential volunteers must first attend a volunteer information meeting before applying. Upcoming meeting dates can be found at https://wayalliance.org/info