Words Alive Event Volunteer
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
3 people are interested
Are you passionate about reading and giving back to the community? Serve as a volunteer at the Annual Words Alive Author’s Luncheon!
Words Alive: Words Alive is a non-profit organization that inspires a commitment to reading and develops shared reading experiences for children, youth and adults. Unlike other literacy organizations that focus on teaching individuals how to read, Words Alive seeks to imbue program participants with a lifelong love of reading and learning. We accomplish this by creating and supporting:
* Targeted programs for underserved communities;
* Community learning forums;
* Community-wide reading projects;
* Model reading programs; and
* Networks for communicating about reading.
Event: The Author’s Luncheon is the Words Alive signature annual fundraising event. All net proceeds benefit the organization and its essential literacy programs for at-risk children, youth and families. At the event, we will host a marketplace with vendors (e.g., bookstores, jewelry, scarves, gifts, etc.) who donate 25% of their proceeds to Words Alive.
We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers for a number of roles for this one-day event! Volunteer shifts range from 2-3 hours. Here are some of volunteer roles we are looking to fill:
- Set-up volunteers
- Registration, raffle, and silent auction volunteers
- Marketplace volunteers
- Volunteer photographers
- Break-down and clean-up volunteers
Hours and Location:
This year the event will be held at the Marriott Marquis Marina (333 West Harbor Drive San Diego, CA 92101) in downtown San Diego on Tuesday, September 10th.
Ideal Volunteers Should:
- Be at least 16 years old (Must complete a parent/guardian consent waiver if under the age of 18)
- Have a positive attitude
- Comfortable communicating and interacting with large groups of people
- Be on time to their designated shift
- Able to follow directions
- Can communicate through email
- Complete a volunteer application
This is a semi-formal event. Be prepared to dress business casual (e.g., nice slacks/skirt, nice blouse/shirt or nice dress).
Words Alive will provide water, snacks and refreshments for volunteers in the green room. Get directions to the green room at Volunteer Check-In.
If you are interested in being a volunteer at this year's Author's Luncheon, please contact Jonathan Camitan at Jonathan@wordsalive.org.
333 W Harbor DrSan Diego, CA 92101
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Youth Services
- Child Development
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Volunteer shifts range from 2-3 hours.
- If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity, please complete a volunteer application on wordsalive.org/becomeavolunteer and contact Jonathan Camitan at Jonathan@wordsalive.org at your earliest convenience. Thank you!