Nonprofit Community Cafe, Board Members Needed
DONATE TO THIS
1 person is interested
Job Description for Nonprofit Board Membership
Position Title: Member of the Board of Directors
Length of Term: Two years term
- Do you believe in Prevention Healthcare?
- Do you believe in Food Justice? Social Justice?
- Do you believe in Diversity and Community Engagement?
- Do you have Creative Ideas? Would you like your ideas to be heard?
YOU FOUND THE PERFECT BOARD POSITION!
ABOUT HARMONY CAFÉ:
Harmony Café is an innovation project, first of its kind on Long Island, NY. It aims to create new ways in which people that need a hand up are served nutritious and affordable meals, in the same place as everyone else. We start by removing the barriers to accessing healthy food by using a donation model, that is based upon what a guest can afford to give. Our model doesn’t exclude anyone, if you can’t afford to give a donation, you will still receive a meal. A guest has the option to give back by having the opportunity to volunteer for exchange for your meal. We don’t stop there; we know people need more than a nutritious meal to feel part of our café community. We incorporate socializing by having an engaging social setting with guests from all socioeconomic backgrounds. Our café will definitely look like any other café, but the difference is that we are not driven by profit, we are driven by a purpose. We will have a positive impact on the lives of our guests by using a "hands up" approach. A hand up is not a handout, Harmony café belongs to all our guests and all are expected to help support it. Together, we can create a healthier and more connected community.
Our History: Harmony Café established four years ago as a nonprofit organization.
For the past three years, we have hosted community meal events with live music at our local VFW and area restaurants in the Patchogue and Bellport area. The first few years have been a learning experience for us! We were a grassroots organization and have learned a lot over the past few years. We are now ready to expand and bring our new talent. Our goal for the first phase is to have a community center with office space in 2019. By 2020, the second phase will be to open a fully operating café that will be available to the public. We will continue to host meal events in the community until the café storefront is open.
The board of directors is legally and ethically responsible for all the activities of the organization.The Board Directors participate in organizational governance and in the act of leading, guiding. making decisions on behalf of the community and monitoring the organization’s process in obtaining results for the community.
- Understand and promote the organization’s mission
- Be familiar with the organization’s programs, policies, and operations
- Attend board meetings and appropriate committee meetings (10 Hours per Month)
- Actively serve on at least one committee and offer to take on special assignments
- Review agenda and supporting documents prior to meetings
- Participate in fundraising activities and special events
- Keep current on food insecurity/ hunger and health issues of the LI population.
- Always act with prudence and ethics, adhering to the Core Values and the policies of the organization, and putting the best interest of the community and organization before your own.
- Representing HC’s to stakeholders and acting as an ambassador for the organization.
If you feel the board position requires more than you can give, we do have many volunteer positions open that you can fit into.
How to apply: Step 1. Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and please answer the three questions attached below: All applicants will receive a reply within a week of submitting their interest. Step 2. There is an application and interview process which will be explained after we receive your resume and your answers to the three questions below.
- What is your knowledge level of nonprofit community cafes?
- Why are you interested in committing your time and passion for Harmony Cafe?
- Have you ever served on a board? Please explain
We'll work with your schedule.
PO Box 3041PatchoguePatchogue, NY 11772
- Capacity Planning
- Program Management
- Community Outreach
- Critical Thinking
- Project Management
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Two-year commitment -an average of 10 hours a month.
- Professional attitude and must understands the organization's mission. Serious candidates only. Thank you