Share your STEM skills with Girl Scouts!
Tour of STEM Day Camp - Event Volunteers Needed
Join Girl Scouts this summer at the first Tour of STEM Day Camp! Over the course of three days girls will tackle Physics, Coding, and Engineering. These three fields stem over three critical applications of science. Girls will learn what it takes to be a scientist in each field. Each day will be filled with at least two projects, some of which girls will take home. Volunteers are needed to help girls with hands-on STEM activities, event registration and set-up and clean up. Volunteers can register for one day of camp; full week attendance is not required.
The GSHCC STEM Center + MakerSpace is a place where girls can incorporate scientific discovery in their lives. Through a variety of cooperative learning opportunities and hands-on experimentation, girls will hone key STEM-related skills such as creativity, innovation, critical thinking and problem solving all while having fun and gaining confidence. Plus, they’ll learn about STEM careers and meet female STEM professionals while they’re at it.
- Skilled in engineering, programming, robotics or other STEM subjects
- Experience with making or tinkering
- Interested in supporting the process of learning
- Passionate about encouraging girls to explore STEM disciplines
- Comfortable working in small spaces and outside
- Experience working with children ages 5-18
- Can lift a minimum of 5 pounds
- Punctual, dependable, enthusiastic, flexible and positive attitude
- Assist with hands-on learning experiences for girls in grades K-12
- Provide a safe space where participants can celebrate every attempt and project
- Assist with safety and supervision of girls in the STEM Center + MakerSpace
- Must be over 18 years old
- Pass a background check
- Complete GSHCC Volunteer Orientation (Phone orientation)
- Volunteers can register for one day of camp, full week attendance is not required
Benefits of volunteering in this role:
- Gain experience in facilitating and leading group activities for children
- Work in a diverse setting with an emphasis on building girls’ knowledge of sciences, technology and maker skills
- Be a role model in the STEM field for girls
- Expand your professional network; list volunteer work on LinkedIn and be recognized for your contributions and service
6601 Elvas AvenueSacramentoSacramento, CA 95819
- Youth Services
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Environmental Science
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Volunteers can select one or multiple shifts for this day camp. June 11, June 12, June 13 from 8:40 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Volunteers must be 18 or older.