Help High Schools at Pace University by City Hall/ Summer/2-3 hour weekly commitment
5 people are interested
The City Tutors (CT) is looking for volunteer tutors to provide academic support for High School students at Pace University. City Tutors is partnering with the NYSED Liberty Program to prepare high school students working on Math, Science, and History. You would be supporting High school students during the Summer 2019 semester. Tutors would commit at least 2-3 hours every week, Monday - Thursday, 9-3pm; From July 9th to August 1st.
This a great opportunity for:
- working professionals who wish to support their community
- students who are majoring (or who have recently graduated) in the course area and who wish to enhance their content knowledge and/or grow their professional experience
As a tutor supporting High School students, you would collaborate with an instructor to improve students’ performance while being supported and guided by an experienced academic support professional. You would identify and support students who are struggling, augment the class topic discussions in one-on-one or study group sessions, and provide feedback to students so that they may improve their fundamental understanding of the material. You might also design assignments, identify/track students who are struggling and create differentiated instruction as the need arises. You will be supported throughout this process by the City Tutors staff.
All tutors are also expected to complete a four session comprehensive, professional training regimen. 6 hours of live training, plus another hour and a half for orientation. This is a commitment of 7.5 hours of in person training, and 4 hours of supplemental training for a total of 11.5 hours of training over the course of the Summer semester. (If you have prior educational or tutoring experience, you only need to complete 4.5 hours of training)
Training days will be determined based on your schedule and that of the Tutor Training Coordinators.
CT's tutoring program has been successful in helping students gain access to support that they otherwise would not have received, given their limited time spent on campus. Having tutors in these sessions early in the semester will allow us to employ strategies to reduce withdrawals and student failure rates. Your work with us would help the students’ overall subject area performance, and help us improve this educational support model, reaching more students and departments with comprehensive academic support.
To apply, you must:
- Have received an A- or A in the introduction to the subject course you are applying to tutor.
- Have a GPA at or above 3.2, or have received a degree recently.
- Be willing to complete 11.5 hours of College Reading and Learning Aligned (CRLA) training at City College of New York.
Learn more about the NYSED Liberty program here:
We'll work with your schedule.
1 Pace PlazaNew York, NY 10038
- General Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- 2 hours per week
- 11.5 hours of training (4 hours if you have prior tutoring or educational experience)