Ten Thousand Village Store Volunteer
10 people are interested
Ten Thousand Village Volunteer Overview:
The success of Ten Thousand Villages (TTV) depends on the dedication and enthusiasm of volunteers. Each new person brings special strengths and insights to the operation of the store. This will be a rewarding experience for all who participate!
Ten Thousand Villages managers and assistant managers depend on volunteers who help with the daily operation of the store. Volunteers are trained in a variety of tasks from assisting customers with cash register sales and unpacking or repairing handicrafts, to recruiting new volunteers.
Volunteers build cultural understanding and form an important link between customers and artisans, by learning about the handicrafts and telling the stories of the artisans who make these beautiful products.
Orientation and Training: An orientation and training will be provided by Store Manager during initial volunteer shift.
Responsibilities may include:
- Operating a Point of Sale System, Computerized Cash Register
- Unpacking shipments and assisting with merchandising new products
- Customer Service - articulating the TTV mission to customers, assisting in all aspect of a customer purchase, knowledgeably answering customer inquiries
- Store maintenance - Dusting, Sweeping, Steaming of clothes
- Comfortable with using a computer and the internet
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to work independently and communicate with staff members to complete tasks
- Participate as a team member and complete assignments independently, as appropriate
- Belief in Ten Thousand Villages’ global, mission, principles and structure
- Opportunity to learn new skills in Nonprofit Management and Volunteer Administration
- References for employment or academic purposes, dependent on satisfactory performance
- Opportunity to make professional contacts in a Nationwide Organization
- Opportunity to contribute toward the mission of Ten Thousand Villages and help make a global impact
- Receive a 20% Off, in-store discount after completing 20 volunteer hours
About Ten Thousand Villages
3201 West Cary St., Richmond, VA 23221, US
Ten Thousand Villages creates opportunities for artisans in developing countries to earn income by bringing their products and stories to our markets through long-term, fair trading relationships.
Our Vision is that one day all artisans in developing countries will earn a fair wage, be treated with dignity and respect and be able to live a life of quality.
Ten Thousand Villages is more than a store. We're a global maker‑to‑market movement. We're a way for you to shop with intention for ethically-sourced wares - and to share in the joy of connecting with makers in ten thousand villages.
As a pioneer of fair trade, we do business differently, putting people and planet first. That means you can trust that every handmade purchase you make from us directly impacts the life and community of its maker in a developing country.
We'll work with your schedule.
3201 West Cary St.Richmond, VA 23221
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Sales Marketing
- Retail / Sales
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 18
- Store volunteers usually work one, 2-4 hour shift weekly or bi-weekly, although they may work more or less often as their schedule permits. This assignment is ongoing. We are looking for seasonal and long-term volunteer support.