Disaster Feeding Associate
1 person is interested
The role of Feeding Associate is to serve as a member of a temporary work unit on a disaster relief operation to ensure food safety and proper food service in a variety of work locations.
* Serve as Kitchen Crew, Load Master, Communications/Dispatcher, Yard Crew, Inventory Crew, Mobile Feeding Crew, Canteen Associate, or other feeding worker position on a disaster relief operation.
* Meeting disaster-caused feeding needs of individuals, families, and communities.
* Preparing and serving meals that meet required cultural, religious, and dietary sensitivities of clients, practicing Safe Food Handling at all times.
* Maintaining clear communication and collaboration with supervisor and peers.
* Ensuring accuracy in all assigned tasks.
* Providing feedback on disaster impact and community recovery, collecting essential elements of information.
* Providing accurate reporting of feeding activity as assigned.
* Ability to function in a dynamic and stressful environment.
* Ability to apply basic food safety throughout the feeding process.
* Ability to organize, plan, and allocate resource while using materials and space effectively.
* Ability to participate and contribute in regular meetings.
* Good organizational skills, responsible and punctual.
* Active listening skills and ability to work well with others.
* Ability to implement Standards and Procedures and follow associated job tools including reporting requirements.
* Ability to interact with community members in a clear, compassionate manner.
* Ability to involve appropriate others in managing problems and conflict.
* Ability to acquire, evaluate, and report information accurately.
* Is able to:
Lift / carry 20 lbs. and/or 50 lbs. multiple times/shift.
Stand and or sit for two-hour periods, and walk for two miles during a shift.
Walk on uneven terrain.
Work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity and/or extreme cold.
Step up/down 18 inches and climb two or more flights of stairs.
Speak clearly on phone and in person.
Drive in day time and at night.
Bend or stoop multiple times.
Location: Kitchen Site, fixed or mobile feeding site, shelter, or as assigned.
Regional responses: Shift work determined by the scale of the relief operation; a minimum requirement of 8-12 hours per day during the disaster relief operation for multiple, consecutive days.
Beyond Regional responses: 12-14 hour days for extended periods depending on distance. Time and length of commitment will vary by operation.
To volunteer please sign-up online at www.redcross.org/volunteer.
We'll work with your schedule.
600 Park Center Dr.Santa Ana, CA 92705
- Cooking / Catering
- Disaster Relief Care & Shelters
- Disaster Response
- Food Service
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Local Disaster Responses: a minimum requirement of 8-12 hours per day for multiple, consecutive days. National Response: 12-14 hour days for extended periods. Time and length of commitment will vary by operation.
- Training provided.