Garden and Urban Agriculture Assistant
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
7 people are interested
Support Spark-Y’s Urban Farm Manager with maintaining the many growing systems we manage across the Twin Cities from gardens to aquaponics systems!
Spark-Y empowers youth across the Twin Cities through hands-on projects in sustainability and entrepreneurship. Spark-Y uses sustainable systems such as aquaponics, greenhouses, and vermicomposting for hands-on learning vehicles for students in elementary through college levels.
Spark-Y manages many sustainable, urban growing systems across the Twin Cities. Many of our school partners have school and community garden spaces that we care for with the help of our students. Many of our school partners also have aquaponic growing systems in their classrooms as well! We are also currently working with the Minneapolis Culinary and Wellness Center to manage their urban farm.
The ideal Garden and Urban Agriculture Assistant Volunteer will:
- Pick up a variety of new skills quickly
- Have the ability to work independently to achieve goals
- Have experience interacting with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Bring enthusiasm and adventure to their interactions with people
- Be available for a weekly commitment
- Have reliable transportation to the garden site
- Be able to perform the physical requirements of the garden, including standing for long periods of time and lifting 40 lbs. above your head
Preferred, but not required qualifications include:
- Experience in construction or carpentry skills
- Basics of plant identification
- Gardening and agricultural best practices
- Safe food handling practices
ContactPlease visit https://www.spark-y.org/connect or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
About SPARK-Y: Youth Action Labs
681 17th Ave. NE, Suite 101, MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55413, US
EMPOWER YOUTH WITH HANDS-ON EDUCATION ROOTED IN ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND SUSTAINABILITY
Spark-Y is a 501(c)(3) non-profit empowering over 1,900 Twin Cities youth annually.
We serve our mission through three main branches:
School Programs: Spark-Y Partners with schools to deliver hands-on sustainable projects, such as aquaponics, paired with STEM-based curriculum. These programs are offered for credit and customized to classrooms, elective classes, or workshops. Spark-Y school programs have resulted in greenhouses, the largest in-school aquaponics system, and even a school-wide garden to cafeteria initiative.
Annual Internship: Every year youth join us from around the country to participate in our seven-week sustainability boot camp. Our interns execute sustainable projects throughout the Twin Cities while gaining real-world experience.
Urban Agriculture Lab (UAL): Our Spark-Y headquarters is home to 1,300 square feet of growing space where youth grow and sell sustainable produce to restaurants and coops. The UAL also features a DIY Bio Lab where we test and integrate science innovation into Spark-Y school programs.
We'll work with your schedule.
812 Plymouth Ave. NMinneapolis, MN 55411
- Environmental Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 4-hour shifts once a week preferred