5 people are interested
Gathering Place is proud of our 16 Acres of prairie. It is fantastic for our environmental footprint by reducing mowing, reducing fuel consumption, reducing irrigation, and increasing diversity. The seed mixes emulate different ecosystems in Oklahoma and were designed by the experts at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center!
This is a multifaceted opportunity where Wildflower Warriors will learn, assist, and advocate for Gathering Place’s prairies. Wildflower Warriors will be guided through activities that help Gathering Place maintain the prairies in the most sustainable ways possible by utilizing Integrated Pest Management programs. There will be a monthly class to help learn about wildflowers, weed identification, and maintenance activities. Prairie work includes weeding, cutbacks, raking, seed collection and seed cleaning. Additionally, the Wildflower Warriors will help advocate for wildflowers at Gathering Place’s events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Including, but not limited to):
- Weed, prune, cutback or rake in prairies
- Collect and clean seed
- Assist during events to advocate for wildflower areas
- Deals courteously and effectively with the public at all times
- Responds promptly to guests needs
- Adheres to all safety regulations and policies and procedures and helps maintain a safe and productive environment for guests, volunteers and staff
- Reports potentially unsafe conditions including damaged property in a timely manner
- Responds to emergencies and alarm calls as needed
Skills and Experience: List any other skills, abilities or experience not already covered
- Requires the ability to interact with guests, officials, and staff on a regular basis
- Outstanding customer service
- Basic level written and verbal communication in the English Language
- Bilingual experience is a plus, but not required
Educational and Training Requirements:
- Attends required orientations and training led by Gathering Place Staff
Shift Days and Times
- Educational Sessions will be approximately once a month, in the evenings
- Shifts will be available on Saturday mornings from 8-11 AM and Thursdays from 8-11 AM
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a volunteer to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires substantial standing; substantial walking; minimal sitting; substantial reaching with hands and arms; moderate climbing or balancing; substantial stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling; substantial talking or hearing; substantial lifting up to 20 pounds; moderate lifting of 20 to 60 pounds; no lifting more than 60 pounds.
- The environment characteristics described here are representative of those a volunteer encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This environment requires substantial performance in wet or humid conditions; minimal performance near moving mechanical parts; no performance in high, precarious places; moderate performance with or around fumes or airborne particles; no performance with or near toxic or caustic chemicals; substantial performance in outdoor weather conditions; moderate performance with moderate noise level; minimal performance with loud noise level.
Reports to: [Horticulture Team]
We'll work with your schedule.
2650 S John Williams Way ETulsa, OK 74114
- Environmental Education
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training