Dakota County Dragonfly Survey Volunteer
2 people are interested
Do you know that there are over 6,000 species worldwide and about 140 in Minnesota? Dragonflies play an important role in our environment! They feed on mosquitoes, are a food resource for fish and amphibians, and are important indicators of aquatic ecosystem health.
Become a Dragonfly Survey Volunteer and help contribute to the research of these organisms! With your help we will be able to gather data on dragonflies in local parks, and eventually work to ensure the conservation of Minnesota’s dragonflies.
Lebanon Hills Regional Park - Equestrian Trailhead
800 120th Street West
Eagan, MN 55123
( Driving directions)
Survey seasons starts May 29 - September 14
Various shifts are available, check online for full list.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Help collect information about our local dragonfly populations by collecting specimens with nets and identifying the dragonflies you catch.
- At each monthly survey your team leader (who conducted the training) will work with you and the team to help identify the dragonflies you catch.
- Ages 5 and up are welcome to volunteer with an adult present
- Commit to 1x/month May - September
- Must be able to commit to the survey season
- Must be comfortable with working in an outside environment
- Enthusiastic about invertebrate conservation and the outdoors a plus
Minimum Time Commitment
The Dragonfly Survey Team is a 5 month commitment. Volunteers are asked to commit to the required training and the monthly survey dates about 14 total hours.
Volunteers are required to attend a three hour training, which covers basic dragonfly information like identification, biology, and habitat. Volunteers will get hands-on training on how to capture dragonflies using nets and how to handle and identify them.
9:00 am - Noon
Lebanon Hills Regional Park Visitor Center - Discovery Room
860 Cliff Road
Eagan, MN 55123
Garrett Zaffke | Community Relations and Volunteer Services Coordinator
Dakota County Communications
1590 Highway 55| Hastings, MN 55033
Direct: (651) 438-4635 | Fax: (651) 438-4405 | Email: email@example.com
Lebanon Hills Regional Park - Equestrian Trailhead800 120th Street WestEagan, MN 55123
- Environmental Education
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16