Help System Impacted Individuals Apply to College!
12 people are interested
Help justice-involved individuals enroll in college!!
Building Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency (BOSS) is a Bay Area nonprofit that helps lift families and individuals out of poverty and homelessness. We are looking for a summer intern to help with the BOSS Career Training and Employment Center's Career Pathways Program! Can be used for a required summer internship requirement. The site is in Downtown Oakland.
The majority of the population we serve are people who are formerly incarcerated, at risk transitional aged youth, and homeless.
-Helping/Guiding Participants Apply for College, FAFSA, guide them to their college counselor, and enrolling in courses
-College Scholarship/Grant research
- Flexible schedule
- Be part of a growing & innovative reentry program
- Work with amazing advocates and leaders
- Learn new skills
- Change lives!
About Building Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency
1918 University Ave. #2A, Berkeley, CA 94704, US
Our Vision BOSS believes in building a community where everyone has access to affordable housing and the means to care for themselves and their families, and where there is inclusive participation in community decision-making. Our Mission BOSS's mission is to help homeless, poor, and disabled people achieve health and self-sufficiency, and to fight against the root causes of poverty and homelessness. Our Values In order to be most effective, BOSS strives every day for excellence in behavior and ethics, excellence in service delivery, excellence in systems, and excellence in leadership. Our relationships are guided by the principles of active compassion, courtesy, and dignity.
Since 1971 BOSS has provided housing and services to over 1,500 homeless people each year. We have programs for both single adults and families with children. Most BOSS participants are dealing with multiple challenges: mental illness, substance abuse, domestic violence, illiteracy, lack of job skills, social isolation, trauma, and entrenched feelings of exhaustion and hopelessness. BOSS programs focus on teaching life skills, connecting people with community resources, and creating supportive and positive environments that motivate people and build hope.
Our services address 4 areas:
- HOUSING: Shelter, transitional/special needs housing, permanent housing assistance.
- HEALTH: Physical and mental health services, medication monitoring, drug/alcohol recovery counseling, socialization, case management for the seriously mentally ill.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: Job readiness assessments, resume-building, job search assistance, job development with employers, job creation, adult education.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE: Community building, leadership development, and collaborative action campaigns on targeted policy goals.
We'll work with your schedule.
1600 San PabloOakland, CA 94612
- General Education
- Administrative Support
- Grant Writing / Research
- Must be at least 18
- Monday-Thursday (Flexible with days), 11:00 AM -- 3:00 PM
- College applying and financial aid knowledge. Familiar with the Peralta Community College system.