OVER-THE-RHINE WALKING TOUR GUIDES
5 people are interested
The Over-the-Rhine Museum is seeking volunteers to serve as guides for its urban history walking tour program on weekends from June to September. We are looking for people who love the history, buildings and people of Over-the-Rhine. Tour guides must be over 18.
Walking Tour Guides will:
- Attend an 8-10 hour tour training program
- Present 1 or more of 5 different tour itineraries.
- Arrive at tour starting point at least 15 minutes prior to tour start time.
- Verify registration of tour attendees.
- Lead 90-120 minute tours of up to 20 people around Over-the-Rhine.
- Distribute and collect tour evaluations at the end of each tour.
- Direct tour members to Museum’s website for information about future plans and donations.
- Report to Walking Tour Administrator regarding their tour.
- Commit to leading at least one tour per month June - September.
- Be open to a multi-year commitment to this walking tour program.
Skills Required: A successful candidate will be:
- Committed to the mission of the Over-the-Rhine Museum.
- Passionate about the history, buildings, and people of Over-the-Rhine.
- Able to learn a tour script and present it with enthusiasm and confidence.
- Able to project vocally to be heard over sounds of the city.
- Comfortable with the unpredictable realities of urban life.
- Comfortable working with a wide range of individuals of various ages and backgrounds, including members of the public who are not tour members.
- Able and willing to walk over city sidewalks and streets in hot, cold and rainy weather.
- Self-motivated and able to work without direct supervision.
- Personable, patient, punctual and reliable.
- Comfortable using the internet for scheduling and communication including access to a cell phone while on duty giving tours.
To Apply: Submit a letter explaining why you want to be a tour guide and why you would be an excellent tour guide. Also, submit your resume if you have one or a summary of your relevant work or volunteer experience and the names and contact information for two references to Tour Administrator at WalkingTours@otrmuseum.org with the subject "Walking Tour Guide."
The Over-the-Rhine Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or presentation, national origin or age.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About OVER-THE-RHINE MUSEUM
PO BOX 14026, CINCINNATI, OH 45250, US
MISSION The Over-the-Rhine Museum inspires understanding and respect for the people who have created and lived in Cincinnati’s historic Over-the-Rhine neighborhood by working with visitors and community members to uncover, present, and preserve their stories in an immersive experience. VISION STATEMENT Our museum will be housed in a historic tenement, and will use the stories of that building's residents to explore the larger history of urban America. It will be a vibrant and flexible space that will invite and welcome people of all backgrounds to share the diverse history of Over-the-Rhine. We will engage our community in an ongoing dialogue to interpret the stories of individuals, the built environment, and the neighborhood. We look forward to being an active hub of conversations and collaborations.
OUR NEW HOME
The Over-the-Rhine Museum will purchase and rehabilitate a historic tenement building at 3 West McMicken/12 Findlay Street. This property will serve as a permanent home from which to pursue our mission of inspiring understanding and respect for the people who created and lived in Cincinnati’s historic Over-the-Rhine neighborhood.
OVER-THE-RHINE WALKING TOURS
Over-the-Rhine Museum will offer free urban history walking tours through different parts of Over-the-Rhine from June through September. There will be five different itineraries: Tenement Life North of Liberty, Tenement Life South of Liberty, Women in Over-the-Rhine, African-Americans in Over-the-Rhine, and Labor in Over-the-Rhine. The Museum is seeking volunteers to serve as guides for these tours on weekends this summer.
1802 Elm StFindlay MarketCincinnati, OH 45202
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers will be asked to lead at least one 90-120 minute tour per month on Saturday or Sunday starting at 10:00 AM or 2:00 PM from June through November