Mentor a Refugee, San Jose
12 people are interested
At Home Humanitarian is a grassroots effort focused on socially integrating and economically empowering refugees, asylees, and immigrants while building tolerance and understanding throughout their new communities. Our core work focuses on mentor matching, outings, scholarships, and partnerships.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
- Help newly-arrived persons feel "At Home" in their new communities.
- Provide local communities with opportunities to serve "At Home".
- Guide newly-arrived persons to becoming self-sufficient and preparing for education and careers.
- Foster friendships, learning, tolerance, understanding, and healing among all participants.
Mentorships| Mentors are matched with newly-arrived individuals and families to help guide them through their new lives. They help find solutions to their mentee’s needs, provide outings and connect mentees to other community resources. Mentors commit to spending 8-10 hours a month for 12 months.
We are currently looking for volunteer mentors all throughout Northern California.
We'll work with your schedule.
2625 Zanker Rd.San Jose, CA 95134
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Youth Services
- Child Development
- Adult Education
- Cross-cultural Communication
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8-10 hours a month for 12 months
- Cost of the background check will need to be covered by the volunteer. Most checks cost $49 but can be more expensive depending on previous states of residency. Our checks are conducted through VerifiedVolunteers.com.