Migrant Shelter Intern
5 people are interested
RINCON MIGRANT SHELTER
Location: Craycroft/Broadway 85711
Anticipated start date: May 28, 2019
Anticipated end date: August 2, 2019
Approximate hours to be worked per week: 16-20
Number of weeks: 10
Goals of Internship:
- To educate the intern regarding current immigration/migrant issues, needs and concerns so as to equip the intern to properly advocate for and serve this population;
- To provide hands-on service opportunities with recently arrived migrants so as to help the intern better understand the migrant experience;
- To support the mission and vision of the Rincon Migrant Shelter.
Intern Duties: The intern will rotate through five areas of service at the Rincon Migrant Shelter, spending two weeks in each area. Those five areas are:
- Guest services: In this capacity the intern will assist with providing children’s games and activities as well as basic ESL instruction. Spanish-speaking interns will also assist with the intake process of receiving new guests.
- Donations/Bodega: In the Bodega the intern will assist with sorting and shelving incoming donations, creating a donations need list, assembling hygiene bags and travel bags, and maintaining the order and cleanliness of the bodega.
- Kitchen: In the kitchen the intern will assist with preparing, cooking and serving meals to the migrants, as well as with stocking the kitchen, creating a shopping list of needed items, and cleaning after meals.
- Transportation: While in transportation services, the intern will assist in finding drivers for transports to the bus and airport, as well as (if licensed) providing transportation services him/herself.
- Volunteer services: In this capacity the intern will assist volunteers with signing in/out, providing a Shelter orientation as needed and finding their volunteer location and duties. The Intern will also help plan and organize volunteer appreciation activities, updating the volunteer list, maintaining the Shelter Facebook page, and with general office work.
Internship wages: UNPAID.
Other: Interns may qualify for mileage reimbursement and/or parking fees associated with transportation services. Interns are also invited to eat breakfast, lunch or dinner at the Shelter if serving during a scheduled meal time.
Contact: Sarah M. Reed, Shelter Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Craycroft/BroadwayTucson, AZ 85711
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Youth Services
- Child Welfare
- Office Management
- Child Development
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 16-20 hours a week for 10 weeks, flexible schedule as shelter is open 24/7.
- Spanish highly preferred but not required. Email for application.