Up2Us Sports AmeriCorps Coach
2 people are interested
About Up2Us Sports
Our mission is to engage, train, and support sports coaches to transform youth, programs, and communities. Our vision is that all children regardless of socioeconomic circumstances have access to highly trained coaches who can inspire their success in a game and in life, through the power of sports.
Up2Us Sports leads a national service movement of AmeriCorps coaches who deliver daily physical activity programs to youth in the nation’s most vulnerable communities. Our coaches are trained to use sports to teach High Impact Attributes (HIAs), or internal characteristics connected to positive outcomes related to health, education, and risk prevention.
Up2Us Sports has had a regional office in New Orleans since 2012. We have placed over 220 coaches to serve over 6,000 kids across the city since 2012. Our coaches are placed at schools and after-school non-profit programs in New Orleans to provide in-school and after-school sports opportunities for all youth to be active, learn skills, and stay out of trouble through sports.
About Up2Us Sports Coach Program
The Up2Us Sports coach position is an AmeriCorps service position. Our Up2Us Sports coaches serving through AmeriCorps must complete their assigned term of service not to exceed a 12 month period. Typically our coaches serve a 900 hour service term over the course of nine months to one year. Coaches will receive a living stipend throughout their service term and upon successful completion of their term they will receive an education award. During the term of service, the Coach will serve in a direct service role.
Additionally the Up2Us Sports Coach will:
- Encourage participants to gain and develop life skills, knowledge, and techniques through sport, using lessons learned at Up2Us Sports’ best in class training events.
- Perform data collection activities such as directed by your Up2Us Sports Program Manager
- Act as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the community and youth served.
About AmeriCorps State and National
AmeriCorps state and national programs provide thousands of Americans each year the opportunity to improve the lives of their fellow citizens through service. Funded by the Corporation of National and Community Service (CNCS), a federal agency, AmeriCorps works hand in hand with local partners, tapping the ingenuity and can-do spirit of the American people to tackle some of the most pressing challenges facing our nation.
CNCS invests in thousands of nonprofit and faith-based groups that are making a difference across the country. Up2Us Sports is a proud member of the AmeriCorps community.
Americorps members are not employees of the Program or of the federal government. The definition of "participant" in the National and Community Service Act of 1990 as amended applies to AmeriCorps members. As such, "a participant (member) shall not be considered to be an employee of the Program in which the participant (member) is enrolled" ((42 U.S.C. 12511(30) (B)). Moreover, members are not allowed to perform an employee’s duties or otherwise displace employees, and therefore generally not eligible to receive unemployment compensation.
Up2Us Coach Requirements:
Up2Us Sports Americorps Coaches must complete the following requirements to ensure successful completion of the AmeriCorps program:
- Completion of the minimum required hours of service and training by last day of coach contract
- Attendance at the Up2Us Sports Coach Orientation (August 1 st )
- Attend Coach Training Institute (August 5-8)
- Completion of biweekly timesheets
- Attendance at a Day of Service (Janurary 20 th , 2020)
- Attend/Participate in Up2Us Sports trainings, meetings, and special initiatives
- Successfully complete data collection
Coaches must wear Up2Us Sports branded t-shirts provided by Up2Us Sports with AmeriCorps logo when coaching and at program sessions and events.
Member Eligibility & Qualifications
- AmeriCorps is open to U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent residents
- Member must be at least 18 years old
- Members must have, or be working towards High School diploma, GED, or it’s equivalent
- Member should have previous experience working with youth
Restrictions on Eligibility for Benefits
If a candidate has participated in:
- Two full-time service terms or their equivalent, the candidate will be ineligible for a third Education Award or other in-service and after-service benefits
- Four AmeriCorps National Direct of State service terms, regardless of whether those terms were served on a full or part-time basis, the candidate is ineligible for benefits
Additionally, a candidate cannot serve if:
- Failed to disclose to Up2Us Sports any history of having been released for compelling personal circumstances or for cause from another AmeriCorps program, this will render him/her ineligible to receive the Education Award and may render the Coach ineligible for service with the Program.
Released for cause from another AmeriCorps program but was released having performed satisfactorily, the candidate may still be eligible for participation in the Program. However, this eligibility does not guarantee selection or placement.
Service Term Dates
Start date: August 1st, 2018
End date: July 31st, 2019 (last possible day of service, service term could end earlier)
Total Hours/Weekly Hours
900 hour service term- Approximately 20-30 hours per week depending on end date
AmeriCorps Living Allowance & Segal Service Award
Living Allowance: $7,770
Segal Service Award: $3,047.50 (For Educational Use Only)
Please send resumes to:
Addie Fargason, email@example.com
Jerita Mitchell, firstname.lastname@example.org
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
1010 Common St.Suite 2533New Orleans, LA 70112
- Sports Coaching
- Youth Services
- Child Development
- Physical Education
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- This commitment is an AmeriCorps service term. It is a nine month to one year commitment for 900 hours. The position is part time with a 20-30 hour weekly time commitment.