1 person is interested
The Homeless Garden Project (HGP), founded in 1990 and based in Santa Cruz, California, provides job training, transitional employment and support services to people experiencing homelessness. In complement, HGP operates a thriving community education and volunteer program serving more than 2,000 people each year. Our programs take place on our 3.5 acre Organic farm and related social enterprises.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and hardworking intern who will support our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program in the Spring and Summer and support the expansion of our farm into wholesale accounts by strengthening contacts and relationships and performing deliveries of produce to our various market outlets and restaurant accounts.
CSA: CSA members provide crucial support to HGP by investing in the farm by making a commitment to buy produce from HGP each week during the harvest season and paying in advance for the produce. Their commitment to sustainable agriculture and transitional jobs enhances HGP's planning and financial stability and creates a community of people who are deeply committed to HGP's success. In return, we seek to provide CSA members with quality and diverse organic produce, tips and recipes for using the produce, and news and stories about the farm, trainees and our programs that enhance their community experience. This intern will act as the primary contact and form relationships with CSA members. The intern will also collaborate with staff to ensure the CSA is being considered in all aspects of the organization’s outreach, programming, etc.
Farm/ Wholesale Support: Additionally, this year we are looking to expand the reach of our produce and begin finding regular market outlets with various restaurants in town. This will further diversify our market reach, contributes to the sustainability of our organization, and allows us to share our produce more widely throughout the community.
Responsibilities (according to seasonal timeline)
May 15th - November 30th (CSA Season):
CSA / Farm related work (75 -80%, 30-32 hours)
- Manage and check off CSA customer pick-up (Tues, Fri, & Sat on site)
- Welcome and engage CSA members and visitors at the farm
- Assist in harvest, wash/pack, and quality control of produce
- Work with Farm Manager to distribute wholesale produce
- Perform farm work as needed to support farm and CSA production
Office tasks (20-25%, 6-8 hours)
- Create weekly CSA newsletter (interview staff/trainees, write farm narratives, take regular photos of the farm and the work, promote HGP events, research recipes, etc.)
- Support CSA recruitment and record keeping using Excel and Google sheets.
- Support produce sales and distribution to the community
Beginning mid/late October:
- Support Farm Manager and staff in transition to Pogonip (cleaning farm areas, dismantling structures, etc.)
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented individual
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Dependability, flexibility and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office
- Superb communication skills, both written and verbal
- Interest in sustainable agriculture and social justice
- Ability to work independently and with others, including staff, volunteers, donors and vendors
- A demonstrated commitment to HGP’s mission and values
- Excellent ethical standards and personal integrity
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferred
Intern Will Gain:
- Diverse skills and hands-on experience for a growing nonprofit organization
- Experience supporting Homeless Garden Project CSA coordination and communications
- Education around sustainable agriculture and Organic crop production
- Experience building relationships with a wide range of community members
- Opportunities to contribute and implement creative insights and feedback regarding CSA and value-added enterprises
- Opportunities to interact with professionals in both nonprofit and for-profit sector
Work Schedule/Time Commitment
Start Date: May 15th, 2019
Commitment: 32-40 hours per week
Minimum 6 month commitment, with possibility to extend
Weekly Schedule (May 15th - November 30th):
Tuesday: 8:30AM - 4:30PM (Farm)
Wednesday: 8:30AM - 4:30PM (Farm)
Thursday: 8:30AM - 4:30PM (Farm/Office)
Friday: 10AM -6PM (Farm)
Saturday: 9:30AM - 4PM (Farm)
Schedule will shift after CSA season concludes.
This is a volunteer, unpaid internship. We encourage you to use this internship to gain course credit or seek out grants with your college, if that is an option. Please include this information in your cover letter.
Application Procedure and Deadlines
Send your resume and a cover letter to Justin Wright at emilyr@thehomelessgardenproject . Applications accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
The Homeless Garden Project is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, transgender and gender-nonconforming people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, and people living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
About Homeless Garden Project
0 Shaffer Road, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, US
In the soil of our urban farm and garden, people find the tools they need to build a home in the world.
The Homeless Garden Project provides job training, transitional employment and support services to men and women experiencing homelessness.
By bringing people together from throughout our community in the beauty and security of our certified 3.5-acre organic garden, we hope to break down the isolation and stigmas associated with homelessness.
We practice and teach principles of economic and ecological sustainability through classes and hands-on experience.
We invite you to the Garden from dawn to dusk. Enjoy a moment or a day away from your busy lives, take a stroll in our garden, volunteer one morning or participate in a long-term project.
We'll work with your schedule.
Homeless Garden Project FarmShaffer Rd & Delaware Ave.Santa Cruz, CA 95060
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training