Volunteer at a Summer Social Justice Program!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Masa is a non-profit organization that partners with Mexican and Latino children, youth and family to create strong learners and leaders who fully contribute to the broader community.
About the Literacy & Social Justice Program:
The Literacy and Social Justice program is a four-week program for students in Masa’s after-school program who are finishing grades 3-5. As part of this program, students are exposed to the foundations of a social justice instructional framework: self-love and knowledge, respect for others, social movements and social change, issues of injustice, and awareness raising. Volunteers for this program will facilitate the implementation of lessons in a small group of students who have just completed third, fourth, or fifth grade.
Masa’s Tlanezcalli Community Center, easily accessible by the 2 and 5 trains at the 149th Street-3rd Avenue train station (just 2 stops into the Bronx)
Wednesdays or Thursdays, 3-4:30 PM, from July 10 th through August 1 st
Lead social justice-oriented lessons (provided by Masa) under the guidance of a lead instructor with small groups of students.
Requirements are as follows:
- Able to volunteer one consistent day per week (Wednesday or Thursday) from July 10 th through August 1 st
- Able to attend a training on Monday, July 1 st, or, Tuesday, July 2 nd, from 6-8 PM
- Passionate about social justice issues; a knack for explaining complex ideas in kid-friendly language
- Willing to review lesson plans in advance and ask questions as needed
- Comfortable implementing/leading lessons independently or in partnership with a partner volunteer or youth staff member
- Interested in working with children who have just finished grades 3-5 (ages 9-11); able to model enthusiasm
- Experience working with children in an educational setting is a plus, but not required
- Maintain and model high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Provide feedback on student progress and/or concerns to Masa staff
- Be flexible, creative, organized and able to respond to change as needed
- Help manage behavior and lead students through daily instruction
An interview and complete volunteer application is required for this role.
Masa Tlanezcalli Center2770 Third Avenue1st floorBronx, NY 10455
- Literacy / Reading
- Child Development
- Reading / Writing
- Critical Thinking
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Ability to volunteer once a week from 3 - 4:30 pm
- Application, Interview