ONIC Summer Camp Counselor - VISTA Summer Associate
The Orlando Neighborhood Improvement Corporation (ONIC) seeks an outstanding individual to provide one summer of service through AmeriCorps VISTA (VISTA Summer Associate). We are seeking a creative and organized camp counselor to join our team. In this position, you will play a key role in shaping and educating our youth by instructing them on numerous indoor/outdoor activities and experiences.
ONIC’s Summer Program is a community engagement and building initiative designed in part as an evidenced based, crime prevention program; one that provides a safe haven for youth aged 5- 17 years old. Focus areas demonstrate an increase in leadership, communication, problem solving and conflict resolution. The focused medium of this program uses visual, performing, and educational arts. It targets latch- key community kids; promotes, enhances, encourages, and supports team work, social skills and leadership development with focus on the increase of life/coping skills and confidence. Activities and classroom instruction are adaptive, transferable, and fun. ONIC serves to provide a positive learning environment and experience for each participating youth. Operating Hours: The ONIC Summer camp operates Monday through Friday for 10 weeks.
The VISTA Summer Associate will:
- Participate in the pre- summer program training and planning process.
- Responsibility for the safety and well- being of all youth throughout the Summer Program.
- Abide by all Policies and Procedures, as well as the standards set forth Orlando Neighborhood Improvement Corporation and the Corporation for National & Com m unity Service (CNCS)
- Supervision of youth during activities, special events, free time and meals.
- Being a positive role model for all youth and peers.
- Promoting Character Development through the summer program with an emphasis on Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Develop a curriculum and lead a special project using either visual, performing, or educational art in one of the following areas: health, nutrition, green awareness, anti- bullying strategies, where leadership development, effective communication, and problem solving skills are discussed/apparent
- Plan and participate in all activities with a positive attitude. Lead by example.
- Lead sessions as assigned and have a working knowledge of all program areas in program with an emphasis on safely running the activity.
- Execute all emergency procedures with the safety of youth as the first concern.
- Responsible for proper care and storage of all program equipment and facilities as assigned.
- Assist Program Directors, Support Staff and peers as needed.
- Assist staff in maintaining classroom order conducive to learning while having fun
- Assist staff in reporting in a timely manner, classroom incidents and students’ progress to administrators
- Assist staff in monitoring daily attendance and supervision in classroom and on fieldtrips
- Will assist in other duties as assigned
This position requires a commitment to serve as a full-time employee for a ten (10) week period beginning Monday, June 3, 2019. Compensation is paid directly to VISTA Summer Associates in the form of a modest bi-weekly living allowance from AmeriCorps VISTA. At the end of the term of service, an education award or cash stipend may be provided. For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA, see http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista.
Training and Qualifications
- U.S. Citizen at least 18 years of age
- Associate’s degree, or tow (2) years or more of full-time college coursework equivalent preferred.
- Responsible, self-motivated, and able to handle multiple on-going projects
- Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer skills required (MS Office products proficiency helpful)
- Other language skills a plus (Creole & Spanish)
- Ability to exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment and follow-through
- Maintains regular and timely attendance
- Thrives in a fast-paced work environment
Applications will be accepted until Friday, May 17, 2019. For more information or to apply, contact LaSonashia McFadden
LINKS FOR YOUR SUMMER CANDIDATES
- How to Apply for AmeriCorps VISTA: http://www.vistacampus.gov/how-apply-americorps-vista
- Candidates create a profile on: my.americorps.gov
- Candidates search for listings here https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/publicRequestSearch.do
Summer End-of-Service Benefits
Education Award: $1,289.95
End of Service Cash Stipend: $345
Summer VISTAs will choose either the Ed Award or the Stipend as their End of Service benefit.For more information or to apply, contact LaSonashia McFadden at firstname.lastname@example.org
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
101 S. Terry AvenueOrlando, FL 32805
- Youth Services
- Visual Arts
- Music Arts
- Child Development
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- This position requires a commitment to serve as a full-time employee for a ten (10) week period beginning Monday, June 3, 2019. Compensation is paid directly to VISTA Summer Associates in the form of a modest bi-weekly living allowance from AmeriCorp