Mentor AFS exchange students - learn about the world!
2 people are interested
Our AFS volunteer team is in need of more Dubuque-area volunteers to support and guide students and families through the international exchange experience. Not only will you enjoy seeing your home community through an exchange student's eyes, you will develop your own cross-cultural communication skills. As a key part of the AFS support network, you’ll work directly with international high school students and their U.S. host families to foster a life-changing journey for both parties.
Through regular meetings with you, an AFS student can get the most out of their experience in the U.S. You’ll join our local team of volunteers, who will train and support you as in your volunteer role.
If you enjoy problem-solving, meeting new people from around the world, and facilitating intercultural understanding, this role could be the right fit for you!
- Check in regularly with students, host families, and schools
- Complete volunteer registration, and three brief online trainings
- Develop strong relationships with students and families
- Identify and work through cultural differences
- Prepare written records of your meetings
We'll work with your schedule.
your townDubuque, IA 52001
- Youth Services
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- About 5 hours per month on average, though some months may require more time.