Clothing Closet Assistant
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
6 people are interested
Title: Emergency Clothing Closet Assistant
"La Casa Norte’s mission is to serve youth and families confronting homelessness. We provide access to stable housing and deliver comprehensive services that act as a catalyst to transform lives and communities." La Casa Norte’s mission and philosophy of service is to impact the social issues of homelessness at the individual and community levels.
This is an ongoing volunteer opportunity for our Emergency Clothing Closet Assistant position. This volunteer position ensures that La Casa Norte’s youth, families, and local community has access to everyday items they may need such as clothing, shoes, and household items.
- Ideal for one-time service or continuous engagement
- Shifts are Monday from 10:30 AM - 1:00 PM, 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM, or the whole time 10:30 - 3:30 at our Main Office located at 3533 W. North Avenue, Chicago.
- Information and Referral Specialist
Expected Goals and Objectives
First Goal: (if clothing is dusty) Laundry
- Gather clothing and wash then in our laundry room
- Hang clean clothing in the clothing closet
Second Goal: In-Take of New Donations
- Move any in-kind donations to storage if Emergency Clothing Closet is stocked
- Classify donated items into different categories, for example, men’s tops, women’s bottoms, toys, and household items etc.
Third Goal: Organize the Emergency Clothing Closet
- Straighten and clean the Emergency Clothing Closet
- Replenish the Emergency Clothing Closet from the items in storage.
In addition to the responsibilities listed above, all La Casa Norte volunteers are responsible for contributing to the overall success of La Casa Norte by:
- Attending all-volunteer orientation and training sessions
- Working as a team member with fellow staff and volunteers to provide resources to clients
- Understanding and adhering to professional boundaries with clients
- Proactive and able to take direction
- Strong organizational skills
- Hard-working mentality
- Able to work independently and with other volunteers
- Work in a nonprofit environment
- Engage with clients accessing donated items in a respectful manner
Minimum Age: 16 or older, under 16 with adult supervision
La Casa Norte is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability.
About La Casa Norte
3533 W. North Avenue, Chicago, IL 60647, US
La Casa Norte's mission is to serve youth and families confronting homelessness. We provide access to stable housing and deliver comprehensive services that act as a catalyst to transform lives and communities. La Casa Norte dreams of a world where all people have dignity, communities thrive and everyone belongs.
Based in Chicago's Humboldt Park area, and with programs operating in Logan Square and Back of the Yards, La Casa Norte aims to impact the social problem of homelessness, both at the individual and community levels.
Our Main Office on North Avenue houses our Information and Referral Specialists who are able to direct community members to appropriate resources and referrals. We also have a clothing closet and computer lab open during the week for community members to utilize.
Our Solid Ground Supportive Housing Program provides up to two years of housing for homeless male-identified youth, ages of 16-21. This program allows staff to teach and model the skills needed for youth to maintain stable housing and employment, rebuild their self-esteem, address barriers to stability and prepare them for continuing education.
Casa Corazon, a homeless youth engagement project which works with homeless and high-risk youth, operates in both the Humboldt Park and Back of the Yards communities. The program provides a drop-in center to help youth move towards stable housing, employment, and educational achievement.
We also operate two emergency bed shelters for youth ages 18-24 experiencing homelessness. The two shelters, with 10 beds in Logan Square and 30 beds in Back of the Yards, open daily at 9:00 PM and provide dinner, a bed to sleep in, and breakfast.
Our Logan Square Office houses all of our direct service programs including DCFS, Housing Advocacy, and Case Management, Housing Locator, Rapid ReHousing and Food Security Projects.
We'll work with your schedule.
3533 W. North AvenueChicago, IL 60647
- Youth Services
- Customer Service
- Orientation or Training