We're sorry, this opportunity is no longer active.
Please find other opportunities.Find Opportunities
4 people are interested
Put Your Communications Skills to Work For Disaster Response
ORGANIZATION: CEDR Digital Corps
Please visit the new page to apply.
4 people are interested
Are you a communications pro and like helping people? CEDR Digital Corps is looking for volunteers to join our communications team. The communications team plays a critical role in ensuring that information on disaster response and recovery is effectively communicated with the public.
As a member of the communications team you’ll:
- Collaborate with CEDR leadership to develop and implement an effective communications strategy based on the target audience and nature of the disaster.
- Write, edit and distribute copy and web content. This may include including pitching publications, press releases, social media messages, blog posts, and other materials that communicate the organization’s goals and activities
- Seek out opportunities to enhance the reputation of the organization.
A great communications team member will have
- 5 hours to volunteer per week
- Experience in communications, journalism, or public relations
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to follow an editorial calendar and pitch new ideas for content and projects
- Work well independently
- Good time management skills
- Ability to work well in fluid situations
- Ability to respond to constructive criticism and edits
Please apply at the following link: https://cedrdigitalcorps.org/volunteer/
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About CEDR Digital Corps
PO Box 230651, Tigard, OR 97281, US
CEDR Digital Corps coordinates the work of volunteers around the world to create and utilize innovative technical solutions to challenges in disaster response and mitigation.
CEDR Digital Corps are digital helpers during disasters. We harness the power and wisdom of the crowd to provide vital situational awareness to emergency management agencies during disaster, while simultaneously providing critical factual information to the public from official sources. We leverage technology and social media to quickly gather and vet critical information about conditions on the ground. All the data collection and dissemination is to help both first responders and impacted individuals in disaster areas.
Last year, as members of a spontaneous group of volunteers, we:
- mapped over 12,000 data points related to: infrastructure conditions, gasoline, power, and water/food distribution points
- broadcasted over 100 Zello Broadcasts in Spanish and English regarding conditions in Puerto Rico to an audience of over 1,000 subscribers
- authored and published unique hurricane-related health and safety social media and blog posts in several languages as a means to reach and help those in disaster zones
- supported Puerto Rican citizens with a variety of strategies to counter the information vacuum that occurred when their communications infrastructure collapsed.
Between July 30-Aug 29 2018, CEDR posted over 1,200 tweets amplifying local, state and ICM social media messages related to four national level wildfires and one major hurricane. Our active engagement with the public during that period, garnered over 1.3M organic impressions and resulted in over 1,000 retweets of a critical FEMA map.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
August 2, 2022
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Public Relations
- Social Media / Blogging
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5 hours weekly
- Please be prepared to share writing samples and experience.