39 people are interested
Teach Youth about their Rights and the Law!
ORGANIZATION: FRESH LIFELINES FOR YOUTH INC
Please visit the new page to apply.
39 people are interested
Fresh Lifelines for Youth (FLY) is an award-winning non-profit organization dedicated to breaking the cycle of violence, crime, and incarceration of teens. We work with youth ages 14-18 in the juvenile justice system and those at risk of entering the system. We are currently recruiting volunteers at FLY for the Spring 2024 semester! See below for details:Become a Law Program Volunteer Facilitator
- Volunteer facilitators work in teams of 3-4 to help youth learn about the law, their rights, and the consequences of crime while serving as a positive adult role model and helping youth build important life skills.
- We offer our program in schools across Alameda and Contra Costa County, at after-school community sites, and in locked facilities (Juvenile Hall/Camp Sweeney). Our programming is currently in-person
- This is a semester long commitment.
- If you are interested in being a Law Program Volunteer Facilitator you can apply online at https://flyprogram.org/law-volunteer-application/! The application takes no more than 10-15 minutes!
- Must be vaccinated and able to pass background check (flexible if you cannot pass the background check, but no active probation or criminal cases)
- Not required but a plus: Need for consciousness or enlightenment about the world around you in the areas of understanding race, systemic racism, realities of police relations in the black and brown communities and a willingness to engage in tough conversations around these topics
- Those with lived justice system experience and people of color who have been or could be disproportionately impacted by the justice system are encouraged to apply
- No experience is necessary: All volunteers go through our training process and learn everything they need to know to be a great facilitator or mentor!
- Time Commitment: Once your volunteer assignment begins and training is completed, the commitment is only two to three hours each week!
- Work directly with at-promise and system involved youth: This is an amazing opportunity to give back to the community AND get experience working directly with youth. This is a great experience for anyone who wants to give back to their community or is interested in a career as a probation officer, a counselor, an educator, a policy-maker, an attorney, a change-maker, a social worker, or work with youth or for a nonprofit!
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About FRESH LIFELINES FOR YOUTH INC
333 Hegenberger Road, Oakland, CA 94621, US
FLY’s mission is to prevent juvenile crime and incarceration through legal education, leadership training, and one-on-one mentoring.
Founded in 2000, Fresh Lifelines for Youth (FLY) is an award-winning nonprofit dedicated to breaking the cycle of violence, crime, and incarceration of teens. FLY believes that all our children deserve a chance to become more than their past mistakes. FLY’s unique programs include legal education, leadership training, and one-one-one mentoring. For one-tenth the cost of incarceration, FLY provides youth involved in the juvenile justice system, and those most at risk, with the motivation and support to stay out of trouble with the law, get engaged in school, and begin to change their lives. The result is a safer, healthier community for us all.
Multiple locations Oakland, CA 94621
January 27, 2024
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
- Critical Thinking
- Public Speaking
- Relationship Building
- Social Work
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- The time commitment for the entire semester is 75+ hours (including three weekend trainings). During the semester the time commitment is only 2 to 3 hours a week!