Community Outreach Specialist - Veterans Connect @ the Library
3 people are interested
The Inglewood Public Library is seeking volunteers to work in the Veterans Resource Center, a facility established in partnership with the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet) to provide Veterans with helpful information and services for life after the military.
As a Community Outreach Specialist, you will engage with the Veteran community and Veterans at the library through public speaking, as well as by creating and promoting library programs and events on topics that appeal to Veterans, their family members, and the public.
Impact of Volunteering
- Educating Veterans about library resources for them and their families
- Assisting Veterans and their families to access benefits and services for which they may be eligible
- Increasing visibility of the library’s Veteran Resource Center
- Increasing the public’s opportunities to meet and engage with Veteran.
- Opportunity to honor Veterans’ service by public speaking on behalf of library’s resources for Veterans
- Training and experience in community engagement and public speaking
- Work with library staff, other volunteers, Veterans, and Veteran Service organizations and/or advisory groups to identify and participate in Veteran events and programs at the library and in the community.
- Under library supervision, attend and participate in Veteran service organization meetings and/or advisory groups to speak on behalf of the library’s Veteran Resource Center, events, programs, and library resources for Veterans and their families.
- Engage and recruit new volunteers and Veterans from the community to volunteer at the library’s Veteran Resource Center.
- Engage volunteers and Veterans to assist at community events and library programs for Veterans.
- Interest in helping and serving Veterans and their families.
- Public speaking skills; strong verbal and written skills.
- Community relations/engagement experience.
- Familiarity with military life, Veterans’ issues, reintegration challenges, or willingness to learn about them.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respect personal boundaries.
- Basic computer and Internet skills required; smart phone experience helpful.
- Successful completion of all training for this position (provided at the library).
Required training is provided via training modules presented by the library supervisor. Additional training is offered by via webinars and workshops from CalVet and other Veteran Service Organizations on an as-needed basis.
The time commitment will depend on the outreach opportunities found in the community, and will be determined on an as-needed basis. Commitment to six months of service is requested.
Opetoritse "Ritse" Adefolalu
We'll work with your schedule.
101 W Manchester BlvdInglewood, CA 90301
- Veteran Care
- Basic Computer Skills
- Internet Research
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- The minimum time commitment is one 2-hour shift per week. Commitment to six months of service is requested.