Homestead Sunday Volunteer Opportunities
Homestead Sundays are back, and we need volunteers! Volunteer Orientation for new and returning Homestead volunteers will be Sun, April 28 from 1-3 pm. Experience historic rural living skills first hand, connect visitors to the natural resources of Midland and inspire people to be stewards of the environment!
The Homestead offers a wide range of opportunities. Become an expert at one, or find a new talent each weekend. It’s up to you! No previous knowledge necessary, as training is provided. Examples of opportunities include:
- Leading visitors in penmanship exercises on slate boards, teaching McGuffey Reader mini lessons, or even playing traditional recess games
- Captivating visitors with your culinary talents while cooking on a woodstove in the log cabin
- Guiding families through our field of crops, or stay put at the corn sheller station in the Wagon Shed
- Tending to the Heirloom Garden, or encouraging interactive play in the Children’s Garden.
- Sparking creativity with weekly crafts, programs, and books
- Discussing the history of CNC land and buildings, while encouraging visitors to interact with cabin artifacts. Roll and cut out salt (play) dough biscuits, sweep with an old fashioned broom, grind herbs, or push up your sleeves and work the washboard
- Highlighting your special skill- We’d love to work with you, whether you have knowledge of woodworking, fiber arts, or even natural dyes! We’ll work to interpret your skill in a hands-on, interactive, safe fashion for all.
Orientation will begin at the Timber Frame Barn and will include info on opportunities, skill stations and light refreshments. Homestead Sundays runs on Sunday afternoons, June 2 - Aug 25 from 1-5 pm. Additional volunteer opportunities available at Fall Harvest Festival on Oct 5. Questions? Interested but unable to attend the orientation? Contact Cathy Fitzpatrick, Historical Interpreter, at firstname.lastname@example.org. See you there!
Chippewa Nature Center400 S. Badour RdMidland, MI 48640
- Teaching / Instruction
- People 55+
- Must be at least 13
- Orientation or Training
- 5 Sunday Afternoons-(1-5 pm) during the season
- Must enjoy talking with people-no history knowledge required training and training materials available.