Companion & Friend for Hospice Patients
4 people are interested
Looking for a way to make a difference? As a patient’s life journey comes to a close, our hospice team provides compassion, dignity, and peace. Simply holding a patient’s hand and offering a smile may bring comfort. Help families care for their loved ones by reading, singing, playing music, brushing a patient’s hair, painting their nails, creating art, playing bingo or journaling their stories of years gone by. Each patient has special interests, needs and abilities. Occasionally you may give a caregiver a little respite.
Visits will vary according to patient/family requests and your own schedule. Patients may be at home or in a skilled nursing facility. Whether you are able to visit once a week or once a month, we have opportunities for you! We will work together to design a routine schedule so everyone knows what to expect.
Here are the steps to joining our team:
- Application - click on document below!
- Interview - to discuss your interests and availability as well as opportunities to serve
- References from at least two adults who know you well
- Background check - no charge. Proof of citizenship will be needed.
- TB Screening - A two-step screening and one TB test annually are required upon acceptance into the Hospice Heritage Volunteer Program (no charge)
- Orientation Training - ten hours of learning how to listen effectively, care for persons fromdiverse cultures and religions, take precautions for infection control, care for persons who are facing end of life, self-care and privacy guidelines.
Visits will be negotiated with families to fit your schedule.
Ability to listen compassionately
Comfortable with veterans and senior citizens
Area of interest, i.e., reading, storytelling, art, music, hair styling
GOOD FOR college students, retired persons, persons 18 or older with free time
If you have questions prior to applying, please call or text Suzi Keown, Heritage Hospice coordinator at (463) 207-6730 or email Suzi at Volunteer@heritagehos.com
About Heritage Hospice
7215 E 21st Stret, Indianapolis, IN 46219, US
Committed to Superior Care
Together, our staff has over 40 years of hospice experience! Our team of advanced illness experts provide a compassionate dedication to every patient’s care, taking into account his or her changing physical, emotional and spiritual needs. Our ultimate goal is to support both our patients and their loved ones while honoring their wishes and ensuring comfort. We achieve this goal by utilizing our staff’s extensive experience in end-of-life care and finding creative solutions to any complication that may arise.
Often the reaction to the word "hospice" is one of sympathy and discomfort. We believe that the opportunity to support patients and loved ones at a difficult time in life’s journey could have no greater reward. Being immersed in a culture of service and commitment, to not only to those for whom we provide care, but to each other, is a privilege and brings an unexpected satisfaction. The members of Heritage Hospice have a sincerity and devotion found only in those with the "hospice heart".
We'll work with your schedule.
N Tibbs AvenueIndianapolis, IN 46222
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Hospice Care
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours per week; hours are flexible.
- TB screening and US citizenships; References from at least 2 adults verifying character and relational ability