Female Mentor needed: family of refugee youth in Evanston
1 person is interested
What? Build a relationship and meet regularly with a family that has 4 refugee youth in the home. Assist with homework, learning English, adapting to the United States, and growing up into healthy young adults! We are looking for a female mentor who will be flexible, consistent, comfortable working with English language learners, and sensitive to economic hardships, cultural humility, and race.
Women of color and/or who identify as immigrant, refugee, or asylee are strongly encouraged to apply.
When? Meet for at least four hours per month with at least two sessions per month. Since our youth are in school, sessions are typically in the evenings or on weekends.
Where? Home near Evanston Township High School.
- Must commit to mentoring for at least one full year, which starts when you are matched with your mentee.
- Must meet with your mentee at least twice a month for at least four hours per month and communicate all mentoring activities and report hours monthly to Heartland staff.
- Must complete fingerprinting for an Illinois State Police and FBI background checks. The cost for this is roughly $65 and must be covered by the mentor.
- Must be screened through the National Sex Offenders Public Website and the Illinois Child Abuse & Neglect Tracking System.
- Must complete an online training on recognizing and reporting child abuse.
1600 Dodge AveEvanston, IL 60201
- 4 hours per month for 1 year
- $65 background check, attend orientation