15 people are interested
We are searching for new board members, and are targeting individuals with experience in fundraising, business, human resources, legal, and communications, and who are passionate about the work we do here at LARS. The Board supports the work of LARS and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by LARS’ Executive Director (ED), the Board -ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board responsibilities include:
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as she develops and implements LARS’ strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by LARS for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Reviewing meeting support materials prior to board and/or committee meetings
- Approving LARS’ annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to the annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
About LAUREL ADVOCACY AND REFERRAL SERVICES, INC.
311 LAUREL AVE, LAUREL, MD 20707, US
To enable homeless and low-income people in Laurel who are in crisis to achieve stability and long-term self-sufficiency.
LARS is a non-profit serving homeless and low-income families and individuals in Laurel, MD. LARS was founded in 1987 by congregation leaders who sought a consolidated approach to responding to homelessness in Laurel. Today LARS is staffed by trained social workers and continues to receive support from its founding faith-based partners.
Emergency Services are offered including financial assistance to for housing and utilities; vouchers for eyeglasses,clothing and furniture; referrals for shelter; and a food pantry which can be utilized by clients every 30 days. LARS also helps homeless clients with obtaining ID cards and birth certificates, prescriptions, drug treatment, and mental health needs. LARS hosts a representative from the Prince George’s County DSS who assists clients with submitting applications for federal benefit programs.
Supportive Housing provides subsidized housing and long-term supportive services to 22 chronically homeless and disabled individuals and families who live in local apartments leased by LARS. Referrals for these programs come directly from Prince George's County's coordinated entry system.
Self-Sufficiency Program provides more intensive case management/mentoring to 6 stabilized and motivated households who work closely with a LARS case manager to maintain permanent housing, improve financial habits, gain employment, and remove other barriers to self-sufficiency.
We'll work with your schedule.
Laurel Advocacy & Referral Services, Inc. (LARS)311 Laurel AvenueLaurel, MD 20707
- Human Resources Legal Compliance
- Market Research
- Real Estate & Leasing
- Legal (General)
- Business Development
- People 55+
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- The time commitment varies but is usually around 3-5 hours per month (combination of in-person/virtual). Board meetings are held on the fourth Monday of every other month from 7-9 PM. One board term is three (3) years.
- $1,000 give/get is required from all board members, participate on at least one board committee (fundraising, finance, or development), serve as spokesperson at community engagement opportunities.