Shark Zone Volunteer
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
5 people are interested
POSITION TITLE: SHARK ZONE VOLUNTEER
Sharks are important and increasingly endangered and through the work of National Geographic photographer Brian Skerry volunteers will assist guests in learning about these unique predators and their importance in our ecosystem.
PURPOSE: To enhance the guest experience by plunging guests into the underwater world of sharks through
MINIMUM AGE: 15 years old to volunteer alone and ages 11-14 with an adult (family volunteer).
- Greet and warmly welcome all guests
- Engage and relate to all guests in a friendly, respectful, and enthusiastic manner
- Anticipate and answer guest questions as they arise
- Ability to represent the museum in a professional and knowledgeable manner at all times
- Provide accurate and current information on the exhibit/area, information pertaining to Sharks, their habitats and other museum information as necessary
- Adhere to museum policies and procedures
- Ability to direct and command the group attention and assure no parts of the exhibit are damaged
- Work well with others as well as maintain a high level of guest interaction
- Explain or demonstrate the best way to view exhibits or help visitors who are in need of assistance
- All Virginia Living Museum volunteers must work at least 1 shift per month.
- Strong interest in history and education desired, but not required.
- Dependable and flexible
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods
- An enthusiastic, outgoing personality and a desire to work with and educate others
- Ability to initiate interactions with strangers
- Ability to represent the museum in a positive way through attitude, appearance, and actions.
- Ability to maintain focus on guest interactions during unstructured time
- Ability to remain in assigned area during the shift with the exception of breaks
- New Volunteer Orientation
- Shark Zone Training Class
SUPERVISOR: Reports to Volunteer Services Staff
524 J. Clyde Morris BlvdNewport News, VA 23601
- Environmental Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 11
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours a month, 50 hours for benefits.
- Ages 11-14 may volunteer with the supervision of a parent, who must apply as a Family Volunteer. Applications are listed on website: https://thevlm.org/join/volunteer/applications/