Volunteer ESL Tutor for Adults in Affordable Housing Community Needed! (West Sacramento)
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
Do you like teaching? Are you passionate about bridging the language barrier in order to make a change in people’s lives?
LINC Housing is seeking a volunteer to tutor adults in ESL (English as a Second Language) to improve their written and oral English language skills in a comfortable environment. English proficiency is an incredibly important skill for adult immigrants to become successful in their workplaces and to encourage engagement in their community.
A guided curriculum and workbooks will be provided, and the volunteer will work closely with the ESL coordinator to set goals and monitor the progress of the student. The volunteer should be prepared to answer the student's questions on a variety of topics and continually track student progress.
The ESL Class will be 2-3 hours per session on a time and date agreed upon by the volunteer and student(s) and last for 4 months or 1 semester. By joining our team and providing support to our residents, volunteers will help provide our residents with a way to interact with their community and support LINC Housing’s mission of providing supportive services to residents at our affordable housing properties.
Major responsibilities include:
- Meet with resident(s) once-twice a week (Wednesday from 5:30PM-6:30PM) to tutor ESL lessons.
- Teach lessons and hold conversations to help student improve their English.
- Speak with the ESL coordinator twice a month over the phone.
- Maintain a professional and respectful attitude towards the students.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be fluent in English
- Have an interest or experience in teaching
- Have strong communication skills and speak at an easy pace
- Be sensitive to cultural differences
- Be flexible with task expectations
- Maintain resident confidentiality
How to Enroll:
- Visit our website at: http://www.linchousing.org/linccares/vol_form.html and complete the online application.
- You will be contacted within days to schedule an orientation.
- Attend an orientation where you will meet onsite staff, receive a tour of the facility, and be given an introduction to LINC and the responsibilities of its volunteers.
- Finally, we will contact you after the orientation to confirm your placement.
For more information, please contact Asia Bogan at (562) 684-1148 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About LINC Housing
3590 Elm Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90807, US
LINC provides affordable housing for people underserved by the marketplace. Our communities are known for excellent design, outstanding management and life-enhancing services.
LINC Housing builds, owns, and operates affordable housing for low-income families and seniors throughout California. Its resident service department, LINC Cares, provides life-enhancing services to residents. Our staff members teach and collaborate with nearby agencies to facilitate classes and activities that cover health, exercise, financial literacy, after-school care, ESL, computer skills, crafts, volunteer opportunities, social events, and field trips to experience science, nature, and the arts.
Check us out!
Facebook - www.facebook.com/LINCCaresCA
Instagram - @LINC_Cares
We'll work with your schedule.
Mosaic Gardens at Holly Courts420 Maple StWest Sacramento, CA 95691
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2x a week
- Proficiency in Spanish