Volunteer Ombudsman Rep
Volunteer position title: Volunteer Ombudsman Representative (VOR)
What specific tasks will the volunteer(s) perform? Visit residents in their assigned long-term care home weekly or biweekly; educate residents and staff about resident rights; listen to resident concerns and with resident permission, follow up on the concerns with facility contact person; report observations about the condition of the home and the condition of the residents on their visit report immediately after the visit and submit to LTCOP; if interested, make quarterly monitoring visits to other long-term homes to assist LTCOP to meet the mandate of visiting all 355 long term care homes in the State of Maine.
Qualities, experience & skills needed by the volunteers:
- No conflict of interest
- Good communication skills and empathy for residents in long-term care facilities
- Ability to keep confidential all information obtained about residents
- Ability to benefit from supervision
- Ability to participate in team work
- Physically capable of meeting the demands of a service role
- Access to an automobile with vehicle insurance coverage as required by state law
- Perseverance to stay with a problem until it is resolved and ability to follow-up until the problem is truly resolved
About SOUTHERN MAINE AGENCY ON AGING
136 U.S. Route One, Scarborough, ME 04074, US
The Southern Maine Agency on Aging’s mission is to improve the quality of life for older adults, adults with disabilities, and the people who care for them.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR COMMUNITY!
Southern Maine Agency on Aging Volunteer Services provides opportunities to make a difference in the community through volunteer service. Volunteers contribute anywhere from a few to over forty hours a week, serving through schools, meals on wheels, hospitals and other nonprofit and public organizations to help meet critical community needs. We offer maximum flexibility and choice to our volunteers. RSVP matches the personal interests and skills of the over age 55 volunteer to opportunities in selected imapct service areas to help solve community problems. RSVP volunteers receive supplemental insurance while on duty, and on-the-job training from the agency or organization where they are placed.
We'll work with your schedule.
136 U.S. Route OneScarboroughScarborough, ME 04074
- Elder care
- Customer Service
- Case Work / Management
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Time Commitment is flexible to the person’s individual schedule, anytime. What length of commitment is expected of the volunteer(s)? At least one year
- Training is provided in Portland, Augusta or Bangor by the Volunteer Program Manager. It is scheduled regularly as volunteers need it and is flexible to accommodate the volunteer’s schedule. The training is two days and it can be consecutive days or