South Bay Campaigns Volunteer Intern
5 people are interested
Greenbelt Alliance is seeking a highly motivated individual for a rewarding internship in community organizing and policy advocacy based in our San Jose Field Office.
- Engage residents and community leaders in campaigns to protect natural and agricultural lands and encourage smart growth
- Gather critical facts and background information to inform our advocacy campaigns
- Research relevant projects and emerging smart growth policies at the state and local level
- Analysis of public documents - for example, reviewing draft Specific Plans, Transit Area Plans and Environmental Impact Reports (EIRs)
- Support program staff as needed
- Attend and sometimes participate in public meetings
- Contribute to the South Bay Quarterly Update
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to collaborate and interact with people from varied backgrounds in a professional manner on the phone, via email, and in person
- Confident public speaking skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Program or project management experience is preferred
- Market research, social media, blogging, and multimedia editing skills are also desirable but not required
Time Commitment & Compensation
This is a volunteer position that will require at least 14 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
This position is an excellent opportunity to have an impact on land use decisions throughout the Bay Area. The Volunteer South Bay Campaigns Intern will meet professionals from around the region and will learn about environmental and urban planning issues while developing a network of contacts and references in the planning field. When applying for future jobs, volunteer interns will be able to point to tangible results from their work and describe discrete projects that they led.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the title of the position in the subject line. A sample of prior work may be requested as necessary.
About Greenbelt Alliance
Greenbelt Alliance is the champion of the places that make the Bay Area special. We ensure the right development happens in the right places. We work to protect the region’s open spaces and make sure cities grow in a way that creates great neighborhoods for everyone.
With a committed staff of 18, Greenbelt Alliance has a strong team spirit and sense of fun. We are headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Fairfield, San Jose, Santa Rosa, and Walnut Creek.
Greenbelt Alliance values a diverse workplace and is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBT persons, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other traditionally marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
We'll work with your schedule.
111 W. St. John St. #420San Jose, CA 95113
- Problem Solving
- Project Management
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication