Teacher-Aide Intern/Volunteer for Technology Class for At-Risk Foster Youth: July 8 - Aug. 16
6 people are interested
Techie Youth provides free tech education to foster youth and at-risk youth from disadvantaged backgrounds. We will be training 250+ teens this summer at our Long Island City location! (right near where Amazon was supposed to have opened)
We collaborate with NYC and are supported by several high-profile tech people and organizations, including Craig Newmark Philanthropies (founder of craigslist) and Microsoft. Our program has been featured on many major media outlets including ABC, Fox, NY1, El Diaro, WPIX, Univision, etc.
The session begins on July 8, 2019, and runs Mon-Fri for 6 weeks. We will have four classes per day, two morning classes from 8am to 1pm (AM-shift) and two afternoon classes from 12:30pm to 6pm (PM-shift.) You may choose to work the AM or PM shift, but whichever you choose you will be expected to consistently arrive on time and be there daily for our youth, Monday through Friday for all 30 class-days (6-weeks.)
We have wonderful inspiring instructors for the classes, but there are LOTS of youth who need our program and we need you to help our students with individual guidance.
We are looking for volunteers who :
- are at least 18 years old
- will not have anything in your background-check that will prevent you from working with youth
- can commit to daily attendance for the full 6-week period
- are looking for hands-on experience with youth from diverse backgrounds. Most of our students have experienced very extreme life-challenges including parental abandonment, homelessness, pregnant/parenting as a teenager, surviving severe abuse, etc.
- have tech experience/knowledge (either formal training or being self-taught is totally okay)
- interest in pursuing a future working with and helping the underprivileged youth demographic (i.e. students of social work, psychology, etc.)
- good patience for tutoring/coaching students one-on-one
This is a great opportunity to see how your work can touch lives.
Please visit our website www.TechieYouth.org for more information and news coverage about our program.
27-16 41st AvenueGround FloorLong Island City, NY 11101
- Youth Services
- Basic Computer Skills
- Special Needs