PFAS public education volunteer
17 people are interested
PFAS is an acronym for a family of over 3,000 chemicals that are categorized as per- and poly-fluoroalkyl surfactants. In health studies PFAS is closely associated with kidney and testicular cancer, reproductive problems, high cholesterol, colitis, and autoimmune problems. Michigan has over 11,000 sites of PFAS contamination, and the list of sites of concern is growing.
Work with Sierra Club staff and other volunteers to build the political will to end the use of the toxic chemicals, and cleanup the communities that have been polluted!
- Create social media posts.
- Make calls to members to inform them about upcoming events.
- Help with the planning of community education and outreach events.
- Monitor media and government websites for new information on PFAS testing.
- Generate calls, emails, and letters to decision-makers from affected communities and from around the state.
- Training provided.
About SIERRA CLUB Michigan Chapter
109 E GRAND RIVER, LANSING, MI 48906, US
The Sierra Club's members and supporters are more than 3 million of your friends and neighbors. Inspired by nature, we work together to protect our communities and the planet. Founded in 1892, the Club is America's oldest, largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization. Our mission is to: (1) Explore, enjoy, and protect the wild places of the earth; (2) Practice and promote the responsible use of the earth’s ecosystems and resources; (3) Educate and enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment; and (4) Use all lawful means to carry out these objectives.
Since 1967, the Michigan Chapter of the Sierra Club has organized the bold action of citizens working together to protect and restore our Great Lakes state’s health and heritage.
Our members care about clean water and air, wild biodiversity, and a safe energy future. They help us work towards these goals by supporting our efforts to:
- Raise public awareness of human health and environmental threats.
- Monitor water quality to help enforcement efforts.
- Build coalitions for our issue campaigns to diversify support.
- Find sensible policy solutions to our state’s problems.
- Take legal action to stop corporate interests and government from harming public health and resources.
- Fight for environmental democracy -- we lobby on critical environmental issues and report back on lawmakers’ actions -- we have a strong citizen lobbyist program, helping connect members to their lawmakers on important issues, and we also rally voters to elect pro-environment leaders.
We work to provide
- communities free from poisonous waste;
- clean energy from local renewable sources that grow our economy and reduce dependence on dirty fossil fuels;
- wild places that provide clean rivers, wildlife habitat, and opportunities to fish, hunt, hike, and learn about the natural world;
- and active participation in a democracy that ensures our elected officials fairly represent their voters, not special interests.
We'll work with your schedule.
SE MichiganLansing, MI 48915
- Environmental Education
- Event Planning / Management
- Social Media / Blogging
- Google Apps
- Microsoft Office Suite
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 16
- self-motivated and reliable when it comes to completing assigned tasks; driving helpful but not necessary