Volunteer Ombudsman - Witness Health Care Directives
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
We are currently recruiting for a team of volunteers to work in pairs to witness advance health care directives. Would need to be on call to witness advance health care directives at facilities throughout Bakersfield within one to two business days after request comes in. The hours in which you visit the facility are flexible. This would be an excellent opportunity for retired notaries, paralegals, or attorneys, but this experience is not required as training will be provided. Would like to have some members of the team who are able to speak Spanish, Tagalog, or Punjabi.
Make a Difference in the Life of an Elder-Become a Volunteer Ombudsman
Our volunteers are a critical component of the Ombudsman program. Without their commitment and tireless efforts we would be unable to meet the ever increasing demand for our services. Working under the supervision of staff, our volunteer Ombudsmen advocate for long-term care facility residents, conduct visits to facilities and respond to resident complaints. We are very proud of our team of Ombudsmen volunteers!What Does this Volunteer Ombudsman Position Do?
- Advocate for quality care
- Regularly visit skilled nursing and residential care facilities
- Support resident’s rights, privacy, and confidentiality
- Witness the signing of Advanced Healthcare Directives to ensure that resident understands what they have signed and that the document reflects their wishes
- Attend monthly in-service meetings
- Submit reports on a monthly basis in a timely manner
- Keep complete and accurate notes and documentation
- Have Fun! This is a great volunteer experience and a chance to make a meaningful difference in the life of an elderly facility resident.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be fingerprinted and pass California Department of Justice (DOJ) and FBI criminal record background clearance screenings
- Must have the ability to be objective, independent, assertive, investigative, and fair-minded
- Must be a good listener and respect resident’s wishes
- Must respect and have appreciation for cultural, ethnic, sexual, and religious diversity
- Must possess good communication and organizational skills, both written and oral
- Must possess the ability to work with supervision and follow direction of the program coordinator
- Must be free from conflicts of interest
- Must maintain confidentiality
- Complete the California Department of Aging security awareness training annually
- Certified Ombudsman representatives who use their private automobiles on Ombudsman-related business must have current automobile insurance
We'll work with your schedule.
Kern CountyBakersfield, CA 93304
- Legal (General)
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Need to be able to be on call to visit facilities as needed. Prior to volunteering need to go through a 36 hour training program and 10 hour internship for certification, and 12 hours ongoing training a year.
- Ineligible if: vollunteer or immediate family have financial interest in or compensation from a long term care facility. Have been employed by a facility in the last 12 months.