Volunteer Ombudsman - Night Visit Team
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
4 people are interested
We are currently recruiting for a team of volunteers to visit facilities between 8:00-10:00 pm once a quarter. Would visit 1-2 of facilities a month.
Make a Difference in the Life of an Elder-Become a Volunteer Ombudsman
Our volunteers are a critical component of the Ombudsman program. Without their commitment and tireless efforts we would be unable to meet the ever increasing demand for our services. Working under the supervision of staff, our volunteer Ombudsmen advocate for long-term care facility residents, conduct visits to facilities and respond to resident complaints. We are very proud of our team of Ombudsmen volunteers!What Does a Volunteer Ombudsman Do?
- Advocate for quality care
- Regularly visit skilled nursing and residential care facilities
- Act as a voice for vulnerable residents while resolving complaints
- Encourage facility staff to meet residents’ needs
- Support resident’s rights, privacy, and confidentiality
- Investigate allegations of abuse in long term care facilities
- Witness the signing of Advanced Healthcare Directives
- Attend monthly in-service meetings
- Submit reports on a monthly basis in a timely manner
- Keep complete and accurate notes and documentation
- Have Fun! This is a great volunteer experience and a chance to make a meaningful difference in the life of an elderly facility resident.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be fingerprinted and pass California Department of Justice (DOJ) and FBI criminal record background clearance screenings
- Must have the ability to be objective, independent, assertive, investigative, and fair-minded
- Must be a good listener and respect resident’s wishes
- Must respect and have appreciation for cultural, ethnic, sexual, and religious diversity
- Must possess good communication and organizational skills, both written and oral
- Must possess the ability to work with supervision and follow direction of the program coordinator
- Must be free from conflicts of interest
- Must maintain confidentiality
- Complete the California Department of Aging security awareness training annually
- Certified Ombudsman representatives who use their private automobiles on Ombudsman-related business must have current automobile insurance
We'll work with your schedule.
Kern CountyBakersfield, CA 93304
- Case Work / Management
- Conflict Resolution
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Need to be available between 8:00 - 10:00 pm a couple of nights a month. Prior to volunteering need to go through a 36 hour training program and 10 hour internship for certification, and 12 hours ongoing training a year.
- Ineligible if: vollunteer or immediate family have financial interest in or compensation from a long term care facility. Have been employed by a facility in the last 12 months.