1 person is interested
The Civil Air Patrol seeks volunteers with an interest in assisting our units in saving and managing documents and artifacts of historical significance.
Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force, is a nonprofit organization with 58,000 members nationwide. In its Air Force Auxiliary role, CAP performs about 85 percent of continental U.S. inland search and rescue missions. Its unpaid professionals also perform homeland security, disaster relief, and drug interdiction missions at the request of federal, state, and local agencies. The members play a leading role in aerospace education and serve as mentors to more than 24,000 young people currently participating in CAP's Cadet Program. Visit www.capvolunteernow.com for more information.
The Civil Air Patrol- Group 3 has fourteen units in the Tampa Bay area. Our units are dedicated to assisting our local community through a myriad of emergency services and operational missions. We also focus on teaching a new generation about aerospace and its impact on our future. A variety of other positions are available as well.
Location: 1000 N Hercules Ave Clearwater, FL 33765
Date/Time: Thursdays 6:30pm to 9pm.
Time Commitment: 10-15 hours per month
- Researching and creating articles, reports, or other projects that inform members and the public about the history of CAP and local units.
- Producing the unit's annual history.
- Assisting the Squadron in saving and managing documents and artifacts of historical significance.
- Assisting the Public Affairs Officer in managing content on social media accounts.
- Taking and preserving photographs to document squadron activities.
- Conducting oral history interviews with long-standing and former members.
- Mentoring cadets assigned to or interested in history-related duty positions.
- Familiarizing themselves with the organization, missions, publications, and policies of the Civil Air Patrol.
- Background or strong interest in history, journalism, and/or museums. Those possessing or working toward academic degrees in these areas are particularly encouraged to apply, but this is not a requirement.
- Strong writing, editing, and public speaking skills.
- Age 18 or older.
- Willingness to become a member of the Civil Air Patrol and comply with all internal regulations and procedures.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Enthusiasm for community service and working with youth.
- Access to historical and leadership training and opportunities.
- Formal recognition of training, qualification, and experience through CAP's Historian Specialty Track.
- Training and mentoring available from Wing, Region, and National Historians.
- Networking and training at Wing, Region, and National Conferences.
- The opportunity to publish items in CAP's National History Journal, a quarterly publication featuring articles and scholarly works as needed
In addition to position-specific duties, all members are encouraged to participate in Civil Air Patrol’s Emergency Services, Aerospace Education, and Cadet Program missions. A wide variety of Emergency Services and other training opportunities are available if desired, though participation is not required.
To apply, please email a letter of interest to S/M Craig Hormes - CHormes@flwg.us with the subject line "SLCS-HIST".
We'll work with your schedule.
1000 N Hercules AveClearwater, FL 33765
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
- Search & Rescue
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10 - 15 Hours per Month