9 people are interested
A Red Orchid Theatre Board Member
9 people are interested
A Red Orchid Theatre is looking for new people to join our board! As a member of The Board of Directors, you will support the work of A Red Orchid Theatre (AROT) and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by AROT’s Artistic and Managing Directors, the Board-Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Director as s/he develops and implements A Red Orchid’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by AROT for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving A Red Orchid’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Artistic Director
- Assisting the Artistic Director and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the Artistic Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing AROT to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring A Red Orchid’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects our world
A Red Orchid Board Members will consider AROT a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that A Red Orchid can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, AROT expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about A Red Orchid’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of AROT’s patrons and community, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility, as well as a personal commitment to social compassion and aesthetic rigor
Service on A Red Orchid’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
About A RED ORCHID THEATRE
1531 NORTH WELLS, CHICAGO, IL 60610, US
A Red Orchid Theatre is an ensemble of artists dedicated to the proliferation of live theatre in the modern world. We believe that theatre is the greatest sustenance for the human spirit and approach our work with a palpable sense of social compassion, aesthetic rigor, and honesty. By presenting new plays from all over the world and by reviving insightful works from the past that bear new relevance today, we aim to seek out and build new audiences for the modern stage.
Located in Chicago’s Old Town neighborhood, A Red Orchid Theatre is distinguished by our talented Ensemble and a reputation for pushing the boundaries of live theatre within our intimate, 70-seat house. Since its founding in 1993, the art produced on stage and the collaborative spirit of our Ensemble of actors, directors, writers, and designers have remained pivotal in shaping the organization. Each season we typically mount three plays whose design, staging, and direction are skillfully crafted and immersive and entertain more than 5,000 patrons. Of our 80+ productions to date, more than half have been world, U.S., or Chicago premieres. This work has been recognized with 55 Jeff nominations and 14 JEFF Awards, and our Ensemble artists have been recognized with some of the highest honors in theatre.
As one of Chicago’s leading storefront theatre companies, A Red Orchid is known for our fearless approach to performance and design in the service of intimate stories. Our adventuresome work often questions what it means to be human, asking our audiences to confront sometimes uncomfortable truths with compassion for the characters, themselves, and others. With an enhanced attention to detail, flexibility, and flawless execution, we deliver rigorous productions that deeply connect, ignite passion, and inspire reflection by holding a mirror to life. We challenge ourselves to always deliver real, smart, honest, and often intense productions that take audiences to places others can’t or won’t.
1531 N Wells SteetChicago, IL 60610
October 15, 2021
- Theater Arts
- Strategic Planning
- Arts Administration
- Critical Thinking
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training