A Red Orchid Theatre Board Member
A Red Orchid Theatre is looking for new people to join our board! As a member of The Board of Directors, you will support the work of A Red Orchid Theatre (AROT) and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by AROT’s Artistic and Managing Directors, the Board-Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Director as s/he develops and implements A Red Orchid’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by AROT for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving A Red Orchid’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Artistic Director
- Assisting the Artistic Director and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the Artistic Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing AROT to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring A Red Orchid’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects our world
A Red Orchid Board Members will consider AROT a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that A Red Orchid can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, AROT expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about A Red Orchid’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of AROT’s patrons and community, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility, as well as a personal commitment to social compassion and aesthetic rigor
Service on A Red Orchid’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
We'll work with your schedule.
1531 N Wells StChicago, IL 60610
- Theater Arts
- Strategic Planning
- Arts Administration
- Critical Thinking
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training