Male Mentor with Vietnamese Speaking Skills
Asian American LEAD's College and Career Mentoring Program is seeking male mentors with availability to mentor young adults in the Annandale, VA area. It would be a plus if Male mentors have an interest in any of the following: World History, Computer Science, Video Games, and the Culinary Arts/Hospitality Management. Though not required, Vietnamese speaking skills would be a plus!
The College and Career Mentoring Program matches recently graduated Asian Pacific American high school students who are attending college or taking a gap year in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
Roles of a College and Career Mentor
Mentors may take on many roles, depending on their mentee’s age and needs. They do some of the following:
- Listen carefully to their mentees’ concerns
- Model behavior
- Enhance their mentees’ belief in their own potential
- Provide personal, academic, and career guidance
- Support mentees in navigating their educational and career aspirations
- Partner with mentees in developing and making progress towards 3 SMART goals (1 academic, 1 professional, and 1 personal) each year.
- Advocate for their mentees’ needs
- Open doors of opportunities
- Have fun doing new activities together!
Mentors must be ready to commit to one-on-one mentorships with students for at least a full year. Additional requirements include:
- Meeting in person every month for at least 2-4 hours with students, not including the match meeting.
- In-person meetings are required once a month, but phone calls, text messages, video calls, etc. all count towards the 2-4 hour requirement.
- Communicating regularly with AALEAD staff and submitting a mentor log on a monthly basis.
We want to emphasize that any commitment less than one year is not what AALEAD is looking for in a long and lasting relationship between the mentee and mentor.
Meeting places and times are decided by mentor and mentee (weekday afternoons/evenings and/or weekends). In return, AALEAD commits to providing mentors with the support and resources they need to learn and develop as a good mentor and to ensure that the relationship is rewarding to both the mentor and mentee.
- Have lifestyle compatible with mentoring for at least one year
- Commitment to making a difference in a young person’s life and to positive youth development
- Open-minded and willing to share and learn
- Over the age of 21 with at least 5 years of full-time professional experience
- Pass background and reference checks
- Access to a car and valid driver’s license is required to mentor in the Gaithersburg, MD area
Mentor Preparation and Training
Mentors are given a new volunteer orientation and a two hour new mentor training. Attending a pre-match training does not guarantee a match. Additional training opportunities and resources will be offered throughout the duration of a mentor’s formal involvement in the College and Career Mentoring Program.
Mentor and mentee matches are youth-centered and are based on the youth's needs, goals, areas of interest, and career aspirations.
Applicants must submit a submit an application and resume through our online application portal: https://mentors.mentorcore.com/aalead/index.php?section=application&action=new&fwID=2030
Asian American LEAD Youth Leadership Empowerment and Development (AALEAD) is a youth development organization. Our mission is to support low-income and underserved Asian Pacific American youth with educational empowerment, identity development, and leadership opportunities through after school, summer, and mentoring programs. For more information, please visit our web site at www.aalead.org.
We'll work with your schedule.
In the region ofAnnandale, VA 22003
- Computer Science
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- Meeting in person every month for at least 2-4 hours with students, not including the match meeting. In-person meetings are required once a month, but phone calls, text messages, video calls, etc. all count towards the 2-4 hour requirement.
- Applicants must submit a submit an application and resume through our online application portal: https://mentors.mentorcore.com/aalead/index.php?section=application&action=new&fwID=2030