Penn Street Market Volunteers Needed (June-September 2019)
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Purpose: The position of Penn Street Market Volunteer is to serve as a market and community resource and representative for the Penn Street Market. This position is in place to help maintain the operations, community involvement, awareness, and knowledge of the PSM. The Penn Street Market (PSM) volunteers requirethe skills and competency to handle many responsibilities, anticipate needs, and react quickly to a variety of situations.
Responsible to: Courtney Shober, Penn Street Market Manager
Requested Skills & Qualifications:
- A passion for community development
- A respect and appreciation for local farmers & business owners
- Ability to work well on a team
- Flexibility and determination to see projects through until the end
- Pleasant manner, patience, problem-solving ability, dependability
- Bi- Lingual (English/Spanish)a major advantage
Schedule/ Time commitment:
- On Site for pre-determined market days
- Available for on and off season work sessions as determined by Market Manager
- Open availability as needed for meetings and extended market opportunities
- Vacation notice must be submitted prior to the beginning of the PSM season for coverage of duties.
Length of Appointment: The length of appointment will be determined mutually by Penn Street Market and the volunteer.
Dress Code: Appropriate for occasion, event, or responsibilities. Uniform T-Shirt will be provided.
- Help with the set-up and break-down of the Market each week
- Familiarity with vendors and their products
- Assist at the information stand
- Assist Market patrons by giving directions, providing baggage assistance/ help carrying purchases
- Speak knowledgeably about the Federal Nutrition Service programs (SNAP/ FMNP/SFMNP/ BFB/RFB), free parking, free programs, and other benefits offered to Market patrons (if unfamiliar, info will be provided to educate)
- Replenish supplies needed for Market staff and vendors; keep the Market area free of trash
- Assist in outreach/marketing efforts for the Penn Street Market
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
5th & Penn StreetsReading, PA 19601
- Cooking / Catering
- Event Management
- Customer Acquisition
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- No Volunteers needed for July 4th (no Market)