3 people are interested
To assist individuals served with their reading needs: mail, notices, bills, etc. on a regular basis as agreed upon with the individual. This will take place at the individuals home. Support the mission and values of Goodwill of the Finger Lakes. All volunteers must be sensitive to the needs of individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with the reading needs of the individual(s) who are visually impaired or blind.
- Discuss reading arrangements (dates, times, locations) with individuals.
- Adhere to and respect the Goodwill of the Finger Lakes policies and procedures as presented in the Guide for Non-Employees
- Must maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information, and adhere to state and federal regulations regarding confidentiality and privacy.
- To establish and adhere to appropriate social contact and boundaries with persons served.
- Be accepting, understanding, and non-judgmental or discriminatory.
- Must attend sensitivity to blindness training
- Report volunteer hours on a consistent basis to the Volunteer Coordinator
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Willing to be flexible and adapt to change
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to understand and embrace cultural diversity is required
- Ability to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodations
Training will take place at the main campus
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED). Must have a valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are presentative of those that must be met by the volunteer to successfully perform the assignment.
While performing the assignment of Volunteer Reader, the volunteer must be able to regularly and openly communicate with the individual and members of the department. The volunteer must be able to read and convey information to the individual. The volunteer will frequently need to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects/keyboard, and reach with hands & arms.
The volunteer will be occasionally required to stand, walk, and sit.
We'll work with your schedule.
422 S Clinton AveRochester, NY 14620
- Literacy / Reading
- Customer Service
- Reading / Writing
- Reading Comprehension
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- One visit a week