Computers a breeze for you? Enjoy showing others how to use them?
1 person is interested
Available positions are: Tuesdays 3-5 pm, Wednesdays 3-5 pm, Thursdays 3-5 pm, Fridays 3-5, Saturdays 1-3 pm
You can make people's computer experiences less challenging. They may even gain a new skill and become more self-sufficient - because you took the time to share what you know!
Computer access and printing are some of our most popular services. It would be amazing if every person visiting us knew *exactly* how do to what they need to do, but that's not life! So whether it's the senior who's never been on a computer and needs to go online or the student with a deadline trying to attach an important file to their email, we're here to help. Sometimes though, there are more people needing help than available staff and that's where you come in.
If using the internet, email, USBs, and Microsoft Office programs is easy-peasy for you AND you have the willingness and patience to walk others through it, we want you! We're looking for motivated individuals to commit to volunteering one afternoon a week helping patrons with our computers and printing.
A successful Volunteer Public Computer Aide can:
- Help patrons with computers: Microsoft Office suite (in particular Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher), Adobe, Google Drive and Google Docs, creating and accessing email across various platforms (Yahoo!, Gmail, etc.), creating and opening attachments for email, and saving and retrieving files on USB drives.
- Help people make reservations and print using our Envisionware computer system (training provided).
- Assist people with operating our copier and scanner.
- Help people apply for library cards by directing them to our online application (training provided).
- Think on their feet and exercise sound judgment.
- Interact in a friendly, patient way with a diverse range of individuals of all ages and backgrounds.
- Conduct themselves in a professional, courteous manner at all times.
- Maintain boundaries and be discreet when coming in contact with sensitive and private information.
We'll work with your schedule.
700 E. Palmdale Blvd.Palmdale, CA 93550
- Basic Computer Skills
- Google Apps
- Microsoft Office Suite
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Public Speaking
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- One two-hour shift at least once a week. Preferred available shifts are Tuesdays/Wednesdays/Thursdays/Fridays 3-5 pm, or Saturdays 1-3 pm, but we may be able to work with other availability.